Chapter 12

-Caleb’s Time-

The days came and went. And now, we’ll be having our first grading exams next week. Since it’s a lazy Saturday afternoon, and I’m a good student, I left my book to chill at the mini-park. I’m good, right?

I grabbed a bag of Lays before heading out. I like the quiet ambiance of this subdivision. It gives me that calm feeling that you rarely feel during the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I sat at one of the benches and just took some fresh air.

“Arrgh!”

I turned to look at where that sound came from. From afar, I saw a girl sitting under one of the trees, books of all kind surrounding her. When I took a closer look, I was surprised to see who it was. Mischief crawling in my veins, I decided to surprise the said person. I sneaked behind the tree where she was situated and gave a loud…

“Boo!”

“AAAHHH!”

I was clutching my stomach due to the laughter that I think won’t be over for a while. She glared at me and punched my arm.

“Ugh! Very funny, Caleb. You almost gave me a heart attack!”

I'm still laughing and I look pretty much unable to respond to her. She continued glaring at me. After a while, I calmed down and wiped the tears due to my laughter.

“S-Sorry, Bernadette. Your reaction was just too funny.”

“Ha ha, hilarious. I’m glad I could be the source of your never ending laughter today,” she grumbled and rolled her eyes.

“I hear sarcasm dripping in every word,” I noted.

“Does knowing that make you smart? Sheesh, can’t you see that I’m studying here?” She went back to her books and didn’t pay attention to me any longer. I just sat beside her and looked at what she’s studying. Math.

“Argh!” She suddenly shouted, looking exasperated and pulling at her long hair. I am worrying for her sanity already.

“You okay?”

“Leave me alone! I can’t concentrate here! You’re a distraction!”

I smirked at her outburst. “Am I the real problem here or your little knowledge about math?”

Her eyes widened and then glared at me again. “Now you’re insulting me. For your information I am very much capable in math.”

Liar. “Says the person who barely passed the chapter quiz yesterday.”

“You saw that?” she exclaimed.

“I am right behind you, you know.”

“Ugh, if you’re here to insult me and my math skills, you can leave now. I want to study on my own, thank you very much.”