Chapter 19

-Bernadette’s Time-

I’m still pretty much hyped up by Caleb’s gift. He also called me when the clock striked twelve at New Year, another 365 days waiting for us. Mr. Cuddles and I are happy.

Now, we’re back in school, ready to face the fourth grading period – our last three months here in Aceltoria. It gives me mixed feelings, you know? I want to leave but I don’t want to leave. Contradicting, huh? I don’t get it myself. It’s just that, I’ve been in this school for the past thirteen years of my life. Letting go of what you have grown up with is hard.

Okay, enough rambling. School is over but most of us are at the gymnasium for the practice of the play. We have one month to go! And so we’re pretty much scrambling around, trying to get some work done. The actors and actresses of the play are currently onstage, going through their lines. Currently, they’re at the scene where Clara is drunk after Timothy chooses Daphne over her.

“Okay Sheyah, you must sing with all the pain and heartbreak of unrequited love. Lights, camera, action!”

Whitney Houston’s I Have Nothing. Ah, one of my favourites. While backstage helping with the props, I found myself singing as well.

Don’t make me close one more door

I don’t wanna hurt anymore

Stay in my arms if you dare

Or must I imagine you there

Don’t walk away from me

I have nothing, nothing, nothing

If I don’t have you

“You know what, Bams? I think you fit the role of Clara more. Plus, you have a great voice!” Jams whined beside me. We’re currently painting some scenery for the last part of the play. Jams decided not to join since she’s been in the annual play since first year. She said she will lie low and give chance for others to shine. And she wants to be with me since the others have a part in the play. I love my best friend.

“Just accept it, Jams. Maybe it’s not for me.”

“It is definitely not for you.”

We turned to look at who said that. Diana came to us, her hands crossed. Did I mention that she got the role of Daphne? Suits her right, huh?

“You will never be in a lead role. You’re too boring.”

“I forgot to say something to you, Diana. Congratulations!”

She was definitely shocked at what I said. “T-tha---“

“Congratulations on getting the main antagonist part! Are you sure that you’re acting? It really looks so natural, I’m not surprised you’re an evil person in real life too,” I said with a smile.

“Argh!” She just stomped her feet and walked out. Jams and I high-fived.

“Buuuuurn!” Jams said to her retreating figure. “Bams! I’m so proud of you!”

I flipped my hair. “I’m not exactly your damsel in distress.”

We laughed and just finished our work. The practice ended around seven in the evening and I went home tired after that.

----

We are now spending the sunny Saturday in school, practicing. Sir Mark is good. He managed to get through all the scenes in just a week. I have to give credit to the stars of the play, too. Including Diana.  I have to hand it to her, she is definitely fit for her role. She makes the perfect antagonist. Caleb? Awesome as usual. I think his fandom is increasing day by day. I told him about it and he just laughed.