[6]

Chapter Six (Edited June 2021)

"Mikey!" Ashton called, walking from the living room into the kitchen with light footsteps and straining ears. He looked under the table and even under the sink for the small boy, coming up empty handed everywhere he searched. He sighed frustratedly, rubbing a hand through the mop of disheveled curly hair upon his head. He was second away from pulling it out.

"Mikey, come out please," Ashton begged, rubbing his hands over his face. He listened for a second, hoping this time Michael would relent to his plea. With no such luck, Ashton started for the bedrooms again.

A sneeze.

He froze in his steps, his head shifting in the direction of the laundry room. He walked over with very light steps, turning the knob slowly and pulling it open even slower so the hinges didn't creak. Ashton bent down beside the dryer and pulled the door open, sighing in relief as the boy inside blinked at him.

"Well hello there," Ashton greeted with a soft smile. The boy huffed, his kitten patterned binkie bobbing over his lips. "You know, hiding in here was very, very dangerous. You could have gotten stuck or worse," Ashton chided very softly. The boy huffed again, wiggling back even though there was nowhere to go.

"Derek won't be home for another three hours," he pointed out, sitting back on his heels. "I bet you're pretty hungry from that long nap of yours. Why don't you come on out and I'll make you some lunch?" Ashton suggested. Michael spat his binkie out and turned his head towards Ashton.

"Hows you know my Dee?" He asked, his stern expression not at all intimidating with rosy cheeks and fluffy hair hanging over his forehead.

"I used to work with him. We were very good friends," Ashton explained.

"Dee trust you?" Michael asked.

"He trusts me enough to leave me with you," Ashton said. "I know how important you are to him." Michael puffed out a breath as he crawled out of the dryer, grabbing his binkie in the process. Ashton stood up to give the boy space, looking down at the boy with a warm smile. Michael stood up in front of Ashton, his hands on his hips. Standing at barely 5'2 with Ashton at 6'1, the boy had to tilt his head up to look the man in the eyes.

"I has pizza and juicey?" Michael asked, his cheeks pinking up.

"If that's what you want," Ashton nodded, guiding Michael out of the laundry room. Ashton pulled the high chair from the corner to the middle of the kitchen and took the tray off. He gently gripped Michaels hips and placed the boy in the chair, placing the tray on.

"I sorry for running away," Michael said, kicking his legs back and forth as Ashton pulled a plate of cold pizza out of the fridge. The man placed one piece in the microwave before turning to Michael with a soft smile.

"It's alright, love," He assured as he searched for the juice. Michael giggled, tapping his hands on the tray as he watched Ashton pour some apple juice into a sippy cup. His pizza was given to him on a Cars plate, a matching bowl filled with watermelon.

"Thank you," Mikey smiled, grabbing his slice of pizza and taking a big bite, getting a bit of sauce on his face. Ashton chuckled, watching the boy eat with a small, fond smile.