[19]

Here it is, 'big mikey' is officially introduced, thank you so much for all of the comments, enjoy!

••••••

Michael's eyes opened slowly and he instantly knew that something was off. His mind wasn't as pleasantly fuzzy, his eyes were heavy with reluctance rather than sleep, his limbs weren't loose and relaxed.

Michael sat up slowly, looking down at the dinosaur pajamas he was wearing. He pushed away the little teddy bear in his lap and sat up, testing his balance on the springs of the crib with an unfamiliar sense of his weight and body. He climbed over the bars and jumped down carefully. He knew he was big, he just didn't know why.

He left the nursery quietly, keeping his footsteps light as he descended the stairs. He could hear Ashton in the kitchen, seemingly cooking something, he could hear the clink of pans. He's always there early, since Derek switched to the morning shift, Ashton has been the one to greet Michael in the mornings. Michael kept his hands close to his chest as he walked in, shuffling his steps to alert the man of his presence. He looked back with furrowed eyebrows and a very surprised expression, Michael understands, he usually just screams his name until he comes to get him in the nursery.

"G'morning baby boy," Ashton said with an air of surprise.

"Um, Ashton?" Ashton turned his full body to face Michael, his eyebrows raised upon hearing the boy say his actual name. Michael shuffled on his feet, his cheeks tinting a light pink.

"Are you out of your headspace, hun?" Ashton questioned softly, giving Michael a soft, reassuring smile. Michael nodded, his eyes brimming with tears.

"I don't know why, I just woke up and I wasn't..." he gestured vaguely, "little."

"Okay, that's okay," Ashton assured as he walked up and wrapped his arms around the boy. Michael instantly melted into the man, wrapping his arms around his torso and burying his face in his chest. Ashton ran his fingers through Michaels hair, gently kissing the boy's head.

"You want some breakfast?" He offered, pulling his head back so he could see Michael's flushed, tear streaked face. The boy nodded but he didn't rush to let go.

"Come on." Ashton gently pushed Michael off and turned around, bending down slightly. Michael giggled, placing his hands on Ashton's shoulders and jumping onto his back. He wrapped his arms and legs around the man, nuzzling his face against Ashton's neck. Ashton gathered the plates of hash browns and bacon he made and carried them — as well as Michael— to the living room.

"You wanna watch a movie?" He asked as he set the boy on the couch. Michael nodded his head as he scooted a bit away, looking down at his fingers. Ashton shook it off as set their plates down and put on The Croods, which he knew little Mikey loved. The tiny gasp of excitement was all the confirmation he needed to set the remote down and lean back against the couch.

"Um, D- Ash?" Michael grabbed the man's attention with a soft voice. Ashton looked over and gave the shy boy a warm smile.

"Whats wrong, baby?" It was a force of habit to call Michael a pet name, after months of caring for the boy. Michael blushed.

"Can- can you cuddle me?" Michaels stuttered, his checks flaring a rosy red. Ashton smiled softly as he opened his arms. Michael smiled shyly as he crawled towards the man and laid his head on his chest. Ashton wrapped his arms around the boy's shoulders and carefully reached over him so he could hand him a plate.

"I know I don't usually take care of you while you're out of headspace but I'll gladly keep you company. We can do everything we usually do and you don't have to be embarrassed, okay?" Ashton assured, kissing Michaels temple. The boy blushed again, nodding as he cuddled further into the man.