[13]

Chapter Thirteen (Edited September 2021)

"And he huffed and he puffed, but the house wouldn't go down. So he huffed and he puffed... but it still wouldn't go down. The big bad wolf knocked on the door of the brick home and said 'little pigs, little pigs, lets me in!' And the little pigs said..." Ashton trailed off.

"Not by the hairs on my chinny chin chin!"
Michael exclaimed, giggling loudly. Ashton smiled, pulling Michael further into his side on the small hospital bed.

"So the wolf huffed and he puffed, and he huffed and he puffed, but he just couldn't blow the pigs house down. So the big bad wolf thought to himself 'I must be clever if I shall get the pigs'" Ashton said in a funny accent as he tickled Michaels tummy, it made the little boy giggle and squirm.

"The wolf climbed on top of the third little pigs brick house and started slyly sliding down the chimney, chuckling evilly," Ashton paused to do his best 'evil' laugh'. Michael giggled again, rubbing his cheek against Ashton's side as his wide, innocent eyes stared up at the man.

"Inside, the little pigs we're making dinner. They put a pot of soup over the fire in the fireplace and started dancing and laughing. Meanwhile, the wolf in the chimney felt something hot. He jumped
out of the chimney, smoke flying off of his butt as he ran as fast as he could all the way home. And the three little pigs lived happily ever after. The End," Ashton concluded. Michael cheered
tiredly, clapping as he yawned.

"You tired, Mikey baby?" Ashton asked, running his fingers through Michaels hair. The little boy shook his head, hugging Ashton's waist tightly.

"It's okay, sweetheart, I'll come see you tomorrow, okay?" Ashton assured.

"No, daddy don't leave," Michael whined, pouting his bottom lip out. Ashton practically melted back into the bed, holding Michael close. Michael straightened his legs and moved over a bit so Ashton could lay down on the hospital bed. Ashton wrapped his arms around Michael's body and pulled the boy close, kissing his forehead.

"G'night daddy," Michael whispered, his eyes fluttering shut as he stuck his thumb in his mouth and started suckling on it. A subconscious smile found its way to Ashton's lips as he reached over and grabbed a binkie from the small table by the bed.

"G'night, baby boy," Ashton said softly as he gently pushed Michaels thumb away from his mouth and replaced it with a binkie. Michael made a small noise as he started suckling. Ashton kissed the boy's forehead before shutting his eyes.

In the doorway, Derek was silently watching the scene unfold, his chest rising and falling and falling. He didn't think anyone could love Michael as much as he and Stiles did, but it appears that he was wrong. The way Ashton looked at Michael was the way Derek looked at Stiles when he did something stupid or started rambling; just pure, unconditional love. After a few seconds of arguing with his own mind, a soft voice broke him from his thoughts.

"He's got one hell of a loving brother." Derek turned around, smiling softly at Melissa and the cup of coffee she was offering. He took it with a sheepish smile, raising it in thanks as he followed her to the waiting room chairs.

"I want what's best for him. I can't stand to see him upset or hurt the way he used to, it kills me inside, so I just... I don't know, something just flipped
when he called Ashton that. What if he
gets hurt again? What if he gets hurt in his headspace and both of his minds are sad?" Derek said. Melissa gave a gentle pat to Derek's shoulder, offering a simple smile that told Derek he was probably overthinking it.

"He's your little brother. After everything you two have been through it's understandable how protective you are of him, but, I think it's good that Ashton's here now. That's another person who gets to love Michael the way he deserves."