[7]

Chapter Seven (Edited July, 2021)

Michael giggled around his bright pink binkie as he slowly tiptoed through the kitchen. He clutched the end of the oversized tee shirt hanging over his frame in excitement, his diaper peeking out from beneath it. He binkie bobbed a little faster as he padded towards the living room.

He was swept off of his feet the second he turned into the room and he screamed.

"Gotcha!" Michael giggled loudly, his binkie falling from his mouth as he scrambled for purchase. Ashton spun the boy around in circles, his arms wrapped around his waist before coming to a slow stop.

"You cheated!" Michael said, trying to pout against the wide smile on his lips.

"What? How did I cheat?" Ashton asked with a chuckle. Michael looked up in thought, his eyebrows coming together. The adorable pout of concentration made Ashton smile.

"I dunno," Michael shrugged with another giggle. Ashton smiled as he sat down on the couch with Michael still in his lap.

"Can you sleep over tonight, ashy?" Michael asked, pouting out his bottom lip. Ashton smiled softly as he carded his fingers through Michaels hair.

"Sorry, sweetheart, but I don't think I can," Ashton said. Michael nodded despite his frown, cuddling into Ashton's chest.

"That's okay, will you stay until nigh' night time so you can give me nigh' night kiss?" Michael asked, his head resting on Ashton's chest. Ashton gently kissed Michaels forehead as he patted the boy's diaper clad bum.

"I'll ask Derek when he comes home," Ashton said.

"Okay," Michael nodded, giving Ashton a sloppy kiss to the cheek before jumping up from his lap. Ashton chuckled, watching as Michael grabbed his binkie from the floor and plopped down to play with his toys.

As Michael was on his back, playing with his plush little kitten and mumbling to himself, Ashton's phone started ringing. He pulled it out of his pocket and rolled his eyes at the contact name. He pressed the small green button and held it to his ear, his eyes still focused on Michael.

"What do you want, Ali?" Ashton asked.

"Have you heard from Lydia at all today? She knows I'm mad at her so she hasn't been home because she knows that if she does I'll punch her in the mother fucking face! Where even are you
anyways? Is she with you? That fucker," Allison angrily rambled.

"No, she's not with me and I haven't seen her since this morning. I'm at Derek's house, remember, I'm watching Michael," Ashton replied.

"Oh, right, the seventeen year old boy in headspace that my best friend won't shut the fuck up about even though it's borderline," Alison teased. Ashton rolled his eyes, watching as Michael rolled on to his stomach and started playing with a small train.

"First of all, it's not creepy, and second of all, shut up," Ashton said. Michael looked up at Ashton and gave a wide, toothy smile as he rolled on to his back again. Ashton returned the smile as he slipped on to the floor and sat beside Michael.

"Whatever. If you see a well dressed, red headed girl tell her to call me... Or come home so I can beat her," Alison said.

"Sorry, I don't support domestic abuse," Ashton rolled his eyes as he hung up the phone. The older boy smiled down at Michael as he tickled the boy's tummy. Michael giggled, gently smacking
Ashton's hands away.

"Who was that?" Michael asked as he laid his head on Ashton's thigh. Ashton smiled as he gently ran his fingers through his hair.

"Just a friend. I think it's time for a certain little boys nap time," Ashton said, tickling his fingers along Michaels exposed thighs, watching as he boy yawned.

"But I'm not tired," Michael pouted as he pushed himself up onto his hands and knees and started crawling away from Ashton.

"Come on, sweetheart, I'll sing to you," Ashton persuaded in a sing-song tone. Michael reluctantly crawled back towards Ashton and held his arms up. Ashton smiled as he stood up from the floor and gently picked Michael up, walking him to his nursery. He laid the boy in his crib, gave him a different binkie and covered him in his favorite pink blanket.

"What song?" Ashton asked as he sat down beside Michaels crib, slipping his arms through the bars so he could gently run his fingers against Michael's leg.

"Beside you," Michael slurred around his binkie. Ashton nodded, clearing his throat before starting up the first verse.