CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

Calliope Francine Zaragoza

Calliope Francine Zaragoza, frequently called as Callie, was born on November 13, 1986 in Celledar City, Gannevo. Her mother was Francesca Villena and her father was Andres Zaragoza. The marriage of her parents was arranged by their parents.

The Zaragozas were a well-known family of politicians and businessmen in the province of Gannevo while the Villenas were a well-known family of politicians and businessmen in the province of Borlunni.

Callie was just one year old when her father left them and lived with his mistress, Patricia Cordova, and fraternal twin son and daughter, Andrew and Penelope who were a year younger than her.

Callie and her mother lived with her father's parents in Zaragoza Ancestral Mansion. Her grandparents, Lolo Amado and Lola Dolores helped her Mom in raising her as a humble and down-to-earth individual.

Her father tried to spend time with her too. He attended all her birthdays, all her graduation rites, and some of her school activities.

Her mother helped her grandparents in managing the largest orchid and flower farm in the country own by the Zaragozas while her father established Zaragoza Toy Company giving each of his three children 20 % shares and having the remaining 40 % shares on his name. From such shares, she had received a considerable amount of annual dividends which her mother saved for her future.

In college, she studied chemical engineering in UF – Vienburg. She lived in a two-bedroom condominium unit at Victoria Condominiums – Vienburg, which was a high school graduation gift from her grandparents.

At the condominium, she was accompanied by her nanny and her nanny's husband. Dina, her nanny, served as her all-around household help; while Caloy, Dina's husband, served as her driver and bodyguard. She addressed them as Nanay Dina and Tatay Caloy.

During her first year in the university, she met Callix Emmanuel Valderama, a nerd, taking up computer science. He was already in his third year. Callix's father was a lawyer and a law professor in UF – Vienburg while his mother was her dentist. His mother's name was also Calliope. They lived in a middle-class subdivision in Vienburg City. His mother owned a dental clinic near Victoria Condominiums – Vienburg.

On her second year at the university, Andrew and Penelope studied there too. Andrew took up business administration while Penelope took up interdisciplinary art studies.

Penelope had immediately been a campus crush among male students because of her beauty. Even Callix had a crush on Penelope.

Penelope would often give her snide remarks whenever they encountered each other. She just let it pass for she was taught by her mother and her grandparents to treat everyone kindly even if those people do not.

One time Callix asked her, "Why is it that Penelope seems to be very angry with you, Callie?"

She answered, "I really don't know. But perhaps this would help – Penelope is my half-sister."

Callix replied, "Okay, I got your point. You're very much different from her."

She smiled and told him, "I know. She's very pretty and I am not."

Callix bantered, "You're also pretty, Callie."

She declared, "But not as pretty as her."

Callix remarked, "Well, you're a complete package – a beautiful face, a beautiful heart, and an intelligent mind."