Chapter Ten ~ The Barn Owl

Neville

I couldn't help but smile goofily at his writing. I had no idea as to how he had found me, but the point was that he had. Carefully tearing apart the wax crest bearing curly letters reading 'Longbottom', I opened the delicate envelope to retrieve a small letter.

Elle, 

I got my Grandma to use her contacts to find you. So, here's my letter. I feel awful for you, having to stay cooped up at Malfoy Manor, but it's only a few weeks until school starts again. How is Leon? Trevor has managed to get lost just about everyday of the holidays so far, I even found him in Grandma's hatboxes once!

I hope that Malfoy doesn't give you any trouble; he's a proper git. I bet he isn't so tough without Crabbe and Goyle? I'm sure that you will go shopping in Diagon Alley soon enough, I usually do it before I catch the train. I hope you get the letter in time; Grandma's barn owl is at fat as the Fat Lady at Gryffindor house!

I could have sworn that the handsome barn owl ruffled and unruffled it's feathers at the exact moment that I had read those words, stroking him softly, I continued on with my reading,

I'm sorry to sound so mean; I get a bit like that when I stay around Grandma too long. I'm so happy that you'll be in our grade, i bet you'll be put into Gryffindor, for sure! You'll get to meet Harry Potter (he's great!) I'll see you soon enough, tell me if you have any requests.

Sincerely,

Neville Longbottom.

Blushing intensely at the letter, I held it to my chest closely before falling back in to my bed, in a state of dizzy-headed euphoria. The owl, however, remained solemn-eyed, awaiting my reply. I searched desperately in the room for some paper, but I could find none.

My mind strayed to Harry's letters, and how much happiness that he was missing out on by having them with-held, but I had to protect him... Closing my window, so as to prevent the owl from flying away while I searched, I went looking for some quills and paper.

I realised that Draco would most likely have a quill and paper in his room, as well as some ink. Warily, I knocked on his door three times, hoping that he would already be in doors. No sound of shuffling of footsteps confirmed my thoughts, so I waited.

After a few minutes, and several more impatient knocks, Draco eventually opened the door, once again bearing a spiteful look. Hesitating, I looked past his shoulder and in to his room. A large family portrait hung above his bed, and heavy Slytherin banners filled the rest of his room.

"What is it?" he snapped, leaning against the doorframe.

"I need a quill... and paper..." I stuttered, avoiding his intimidating eyes.

Nodding curtly, he walked in to his room and returned with a magnificent Raven-feather quill, as well as a bleached white piece of parchment. Smiling warmly at him, I retrieved them from his offering hands and walked back in to my bedroom.

With a jolt, I remembered that I had requested no ink; therefore he had given me none. Growling irritably at his smugness in withholding it, I avoided returning to his room. Gripping the quill roughly, I sent a quick slash across the corner of the page in frustration.

To my surprise, a black line followed the tip of the quill. Scribbling the corner, I wrote the date 1st August in my neat, cursive font. Smiling at Draco's cheekiness, I was glad that I had discovered it before asking him and being made a fool out of.

In reply, I wrote simply.

Dear Neville,

Thank you so much for the letter, it's the first that I have ever received. Your owl is quite lovely, but he seems to enjoy giving my sharp pecks! It has been extremely boring at the Malfoy Manor, and Lucius is really freaky. You're right; Draco isn't so bad without his oafs. Not that he's nice, either.