Chapter Twenty-Nine ~ The Attack

My eyes widened as the massive dog glanced at me, before leaping down the halls and out of the building. Bed's and blankets rustled as students aroused from their sleep, mad ravings about Sirius Black gathered through the room like a game of Chinese whispers, each story varying slightly.

Professor McGonagall rushed in, her hair in a wild mess, nightgown covering her gaunt features. Walking out, I saw her scold Percy and the Gryffindor's for partying too much through the night, despite their amazing effort sin the game.

"...Don't be ridiculous, Weasley, how could he have possibly gotten through the portrait hole?" drawled McGonagall, her eyes bloodshot with sleep.

"Ask him! Ask him if he saw-" stammered Ron, who seemed to have been the one to see Sirius.

"Sir. Cadogan, did you just let a man enter Gryffindor tower?" asked McGonagall, her eyes narrowing at the proud knight.

"Certainly, good lady!" bellowed the knight.

Silence. Neville's face looked impossibly guilty in the corner of the common room, and I guessed that he knew how Sirius Black got in to the tower. Biting my lip, I listened further to the conversation, rather than comforting him.

"You- You did? But- but the password" gasped McGonagall, looking appalled.

"He had 'em!  Had the whole week's, my lady. Read 'em off a piece of paper." said the knight proudly, unaware of his mistake.

"Which person... Which abysmally foolish person wrote down this week's passwords and left them lying around..." said McGonagall, her voice shaking violently.

It was at that moment that I remembered Neville talking about how Sir. Cadogan changed his passwords rapidly, and that he never let Neville in to the tower. Oh no... Covering my mouth, I watched as the students turned to face the boy, looking not unlike lions about to feast on a mouse.

Loud yells broke out, and above them all I cried out to Nev that I was sorry, but I can't be sure as to whether he heard me or not. McGonagall ushered everybody back to bed, and I took the chance to return to Ravenclaw tower to think.

If only I hadn't of ignored Nev, maybe he wouldn't have lost the paper... I mean, I always keep track of his things; he would have never lost them if only I had of taken care of him. What would the Gryffindor's do? I don't imagine that he will be treated kindly...

Sighing, I buried myself in blankets once more, but no sleep came. I couldn't stop thinking about the scene that I had witnessed, and about poor old Nev being bullied by his roommates. Everybody knows that Sir. Cadogan was an idiot, and that it was nearly impossible to keep track of his foolish passwords.

The next day at breakfast, I found Neville alone at the table, and sat beside him. A few Ravenclaw's gave me frowns, but I didn't much care. Wrapping my arm around Nev, I shot him a smile to cheer him up. I could have shot a muggle bullet at him and it couldn't have made him look sadder.

"Nev, I'm sorry, I was stupid..." I began, before his eyes widened and made me fall silent.

Barnabus hovered over us, before dropping a scarlet letter in front of Neville. I saw Noctis sitting on the windowsill not far away, waiting for her mate to return. Barnabus swiftly flew away, with his black friend. Staring at the letter, I knew exactly what it was.

A howler.

A few Gryffindor's gasped and warned him to run as fast as he could. Knowing his grandmother, I advised him to do so as well, and soon he was bolting out of the Great Hall, the scarlet letter looking as though it was burning his fingers.