Chapter Twenty-Four ~ The Marauders

As far as my first fight with Neville went, it was still going, and had been for weeks. In Lupin's class, I had recovered my wand and learnt about Red Caps and Kappa's and all sorts of things. So, I had lost my two greatest friends in the world.

I was left alone most of the time, 'healing time' Sarah called it. I called it 'avoiding the weird girl who wont stop reading.' I hadn't learnt the identities of the Marauders, but I knew that they were at school at the same time as Snape was..

Which gave me an idea... Perhaps I should ask Snape about them?

Anyway, the only reason I knew about them was because they had a knack for graffiti over the books that contained even the faintest clues about Animagi. Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs.

The thing was, they had to of written their real names somewhere... Somebody had to of borrowed the books out... One name that seemed recurrent was Peter Pettigrew, but his handwriting didn't match any of the scribbles in the corner of the pages.

Gathering up every single book that contained information on Animagi, I wrote down a list of everybody who had borrowed it out between the years 1971 to 1978... Which was a long list.

Peter Pettigrew

Melanie Oakwood

Jane Treelove

James Potter

Severus Snape

Kate Murphy

Harry Fuldwood

Sirius Black

Lionel Penny

Stuart McFerren

Remus Lupin

Courtney Jasper

Alright. Obviously, these books weren't very popular... Or, maybe they weren't returned? That made sense, it takes years to became a full Animagi, unnaturally, of course, so you couldn't return it if that was what you were planning.

That still left me with my list. Snape had borrowed it out... He couldn't have been one of the Marauders? Could he? Then again, I suspected that their names had something to do with their animals... and Snape would only ever be a snake or something of the like.

Moony? Moon... Moon... The only animal that had something to do with the moon so closely, was a werewolf, and they aren't Animagi compatible... so it had to be something different..

Prongs... That would have to be an animal with antlers, but that was still a wide enough range...

Wormtail? that had to be a rat, nothing was like it...

Padfoot? A creature with padded feet... A cat perhaps?

Then, thinking of a feline animagi, I thought of McGonagall... she was a registered Animagi, which meant that the Marauders could be too! Taking my list, I ran tot he library to find the register of Animagi, flicking to my desired years.

No... No-one on the list...

No... None in that year...

But how? They had to be on the list... It was either my list was wrong, or that they weren't registered Animagi...

Of course they weren't registered! If they were doing this during school, it meant that they couldn't be registered! I was relieved to know that my list wasn't wrong, and my efforts weren't wasted on anything. Practically skipping back to the common room, I saw in the distance Neville...