Chapter Sixteen ~ Friends

My eyes drifted shut as I waited for my roommates to exit the dorm. Sleep wafted over my body and I soon found myself transported far from the beautiful, blue common room.

A long passage way stood before me, with sleek snake's heads lining the corridor. At the end, a statue of a man with a long, twisting beard and cold eyes stood, his mouth open as if he were about to speak. Suddenly, a flicker of brilliantly green scales entered the corner of my eye.

Shrinking back against the side of a snake's head, I waited for the basilisk to come in to full view. Its eyes were blurred, blocking my full view of the creature. Its fangs were long and impossibly sharp, a declaration of its long dormant power.

Water trickled in the background, no doubt smoothing the surface for the creature to slither across its hard, stone floor. Shivering in the eerie atmosphere, I felt the creatures eyes fall upon me. Gasping, I tried to push myself back further, but I something prevented me from doing so.

Looking behind me, I saw the curling body of the Basilisk wrapping around me, trapping me indefinitely. I could not find the strength to open my mouth and scream, so I lay there, limp in its grip. The creature continued to curl around me, showing that it's body was massive.

Finally, it settled, well and truly coiled. I was in the centre of a green whirlpool, no doubt about to be crushed to death. Puffing in sheer exhaustion, I waited for the beast to settle. Swallowing hard, I braced myself for my impending death.

Remembering, however, that it was a dream, I tried to manipulate it to bring me a happier scene. No such luck. Pinching myself, I yelped in pain as my nails dug in to my skin. Merlin's beard! Was this or wasn't this a dream?

"He waitssss... but ssshe doesssssn't come... you will do... Elyssssia, you are the new heir... Elyssssia will ssssave her fatherr..." hissed the beast, sending shudders down my spine.

I finally mustered enough courage to scream, and the ear-splitting cry was enough to even deter the basilisk. The creature uncoiled, and soon I found myself centred in the corridor lined with snakes. Slytherin's eyes stared down at me, his face always looking sinister.

"Blooood... Sssso much blood... Mugglesss... Mudbloodsss... Elyssssia!" continued the snake, it's eyes still blurred.

I turned and began to run, my feet slapping against the damp floor. Where was I to go? Who would find me? Where was I? 

The Chamber... The Chamber of Secrets?

My toe caught on a sharp, hooked object, sending my body hurtling towards the floor. Behind me, I saw that I had exited the Chamber and was instead in a foul smelling passageway. The hook that I foot had caught on, was in fact a rib contributing to a long skeleton...

Skeleton? A basilisk skeleton! The creature's hideous skull stood dried out before me, its dangerous fangs protruding from its mouth. A puddle lay before me, reflecting the ceiling and the passageway behind me. Delirious from the smell, I stared intently in to the reflection.

Creeping in to the corner of the puddle was the Basilisk. It's eyes were no longer blurred, and soon I found my eyes connecting with them through the puddle, sending and awful shudder through my body. In seconds, my body froze and I plunged in to black... black... only black...

~

"Elysia!" cried a voice, belonging to no other than Heath.

Gasping, I opened my eyes to see the impossibly blue Ravenclaw common room. Heath's tousled blond hair was not much better than the last time I had seen him, but his grey-blue eyes stared intently in to mine, and his hand shrunk away from my mouth.