Chapter Eleven ~ The Forgotten Birthday

Draco's face appeared through my newly opened door, his eyes wandering through the room until they finally met mine. To my surprise, his hair was not slicked back in it usual fashion, but messy and free... sort of cute. Pinching my forearm, I smiled at him and beckoned him inside.

"I... I know that it's your birthday..." he muttered, offering an embarrassed smile.

For a second I was confused, and then I remembered the small matter of my birthday. Grinning at him, I felt bad once more for not noticing his. Leon's brown eyes practically glared at me, before looking back out of the window and falling in to another daydream.

"Oh! I nearly forgot myself... It really doesn't matter." I stuttered, watching my necklace turn to a highly embarrassed pink.

"No, I think it does. And I got you this." he said, handing me a black book.

Opening it, I saw that it was an empty journal. I smiled at him, but he looked insanely nervous. I suppose that he wasn't used to girls... Standing up, I gave him a tight hug, only to receive a sickened look from him. Really, he looked like he was going to vomit all over me.

Smiling weakly once more, he turned and ran out of the room. Maybe he really was sick? Leon's eyes flashed nervously at the sight of the Diary, yet he didn't communicate to me as he often did when he felt even the slightest worry.

Taking out the black quill, which I still hadn't returned to Draco, I wrote my name neatly on the first page, a declaration of my ownership. To my surprise, the ink sunk straight into the paper, rather than setting. Flicking to the next page, I saw no more imprints of my ink; it was as if it had been sucked into the paper.

Hello, Elysia

Gaping, I stared at the words that appeared boldly in the middle of the page. They faded away as easily as they appeared, leaving me startled and alone on my bed. My shaking hand managed to write down three simple words,

Who are you?

As I expected, the words faded away and were soon met with a reply.

Tom Riddle.

A sickening rush flooded through my body, making me want to vomit. This was a trick... a stupid trick that Draco had played on me. But, he had seemed insanely ashamed of himself for giving it to me... Was this the key that Lucius spoke of? Did Voldemort enchant this to give instructions on how to open the Chambers?

What spell is this?

No spell, I am Tom Marvolo Riddle.

I am Elysia Grace Riddle, do you know of me?

No.

Liar! You must know who I am!

I do not know of you.

I am your daughter!

I am 16, I can assure you that I have no daughter.

My mouth fell ajar in both horror and surprise. He had enchanted his 16-year-old self to instruct the reader on how to open the Chamber... I remembered also the rumour that Tom had opened the Chamber, and he must have been around that age to do so...

This meant that Tom had in fact opened the Chambers, and Lucius was going to ensure that a Hogwarts student would do so again! Thinking that I was the Heir, he offered for me to take the book, but when I refused he had Draco give it to me as a gift...

Enraged, I once again abandoned all of my slight feelings for Draco, he was just a mindless pawn in Lucius's games. If he cared about me in the slightest, he would have refused to give me the diary. Yet, it seemed so inviting.