Chapter 1

"Mommy, I'm done with my homework. Can we go now?"

"Yea DJ, in a minute. Now go get your backpack."

I put on some sweats and t-shirt. My mother lived about fifteen minutes away from me. I was taking my son Derrick Jr. to my parents house because that’s where he stayed while I worked overnight. I laid my work uniform out on my California king bed. I looked around my room. I was doing well for being a 24 year old single mother. My son and I lived in a 3 bedroom townhome in Red Oak, a suburb south of Dallas.

“Let’s go DJ.”

We got in my Infinity Q45 and I told DJ to buckle up. I dreaded going to my parents house because my dad hated the thought of his little girl being out overnight let alone working. He would say, “baby why can’t you find a good day job?” “Because daddy I love my job at Barton.” Barton was a security company that I found six years ago. “I’ve been at Barton for six years and they have promoted me numerous times. I am a supervisor and plus I make decent money to take care of my son.”  “Hhmmp”, well if you wouldn’t have laid down with that no good nigga, you wouldn’t be working late at night.” I started to smirk and laugh to myself.

“Nikki, what are you laughing at?”

 “Nothing DJ.”

 Im not sure why my son liked to call me by my nickname but I let him. It didn’t bother me.  As I pulled up into my parents driveway we got out the car and walked up to the door. 

 “Mom, we’re here.” I yelled as I let myself in with the key I’ve had since we lived in this house.

“Hey ya’ll.” “hey Coco” my son screamed running to my mother. She thought she was too young to be called granny or grandma when I got pregnant so she made herself known as “CoCo.”

“Hey my sweet baby. How was your day?”

“It was great.”

 “Good, well go get ready for bed. I don’t want to hear any fussing when I come and wake you up for school in the morning.”

“Can have some cake first?”

“No.” I said sternly.  DJ smacked his lips and rolled his eyes. “Boy, don’t make me smack you.” He started walking towards the bedroom my mother had set up for him.

“You could have let him have a piece cake Nikki.” My mother said.

“No he doesn’t need that. Its 8:30 at night I don’t want him to be hyper and you start complaining about him being up past his bed time.” My mother rolled her eyes and walked away. I laughed to myself I guess bad attitudes were family traits. “Where’s daddy anyway, I need to speak before I leave.” “In the garage smoking.” 

I walked through the kitchen to the garage. “hey daddy.” “hey babygirl. What you up to?” He said as he kissed my lips. He had kissed me like that for as long as I could remember. My mother hated it because she wasn’t as affectionate as he was. “nothing, just brought DJ here so I can get ready for work.” “ Oh hell, where fatboy at?” “He should be getting ready for bed.”

We walked back in the house and DJ was sitting at the kitchen table eating a piece of cake. Now it was my turn to roll my eyes. “Mama, I thought I told him he couldn’t have any cake.” My mother looked at me and quoted her infamous line “When you start paying bills in my house, you can have some say so. Until then, mind your business. “

My dad looked at me shook his head, kissed DJ and told us all goodnight.  “I’m about to go.”  I walked over to DJ gave him a kiss on the forehead and told him to be good and I would see him when he got out of school tomorrow. “Alright mom, I’m gone.” “Where do they have you stationed tonight?” “I’m at that awful strip club, Ecstasy again.” “Sweetie I know you make decent money but why don’t you go back to school and get a degree and do something you love.” As I let out a sigh, I hugged her and skipped to the car. I didn’t want to get into that conversation with her. I was surprised mydad didn’t bring it up too.

I got in the car and blasted my Lil Wayne, Carter IV album and drove home to get ready for my 8 hour shift.

Once, I was back at my house I took a quick shower, I was contemplating calling in.  I had been working two weeks straight with no days off but I know if I called my boss  and told him I was sick he would say, “suck it up and get ur sexy ass up here.” It was $2 Tuesdays’. Meaning anything from well drinks to lap dances were $2 all night long.You would think the owner would lose out on money giving cheap lap dances and drinks but come to find out Tuesdays are one of the old gizzards best money-making nights. 

 As I got out the shower, I lathered my body Victoria Secrets  “love spell” body cream. Then put on my black lace thong and matching satin and lace bustier, a button down white polo and black pants. I applied my MAC make up and un-wrapped my hair and let the curls flow down my back. I looked over at the clock it was 9:20. I had to be at work in forty minutes. I grabbed my black Gucci overnight bag and jumped in my SUV and headed north on I-35 towards downtown Dallas.

DONT FORGET TO ADD COMMENTS, THOUGHTS and CRITICISM!!!!!!!! THANKS GUYS!!!!!