Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“Why you aint tell me about you and my brother?” I was laying on Dria’s couch the day after the fight, surfing the internet on my laptop. I was looking for information on Maurice’s funeral on the local news station’s website.

“Trust me I wanted to but Darryl was like, it’s better that no one knows until he get out the streets. He didn’t want people to think that he wasn’t serious about me.”

I laughed. She looked at me angrily.

“I’m sorry. But seriously, he hasn’t been serious about a woman in like…well EVER.”

She shook her head. I’m sure she felt ashamed. “Yea I know, but here we are two years later. I feel stupid.”

“Have you talked to him?”

“No. he’s been calling and he beat on door for an hour last night but I sent him a text and told him to leave before my neighbors called the police. You know he scared of the laws.”

“So now what?”

“I don’t know. He has to do a lot of apologizing. He has fucked up royally with me.”

“You’re giving him a second chance?” I asked.

“Don’t be so judgmental.”

“I’m not. We’re best friends but he was beyond disrespectful. He bought another woman to a family gathering with his child.”

“Technically we weren’t in a committed relationship.” “Have ya’ll been having sex?”

“Of course.”

“Then at least he should have set some type of standards regarding the relationship. If he was really serious about it, then why be disrespectful about it? He had no reason to lie to that girl and to you about what it is. Please don’t fall into that trap.”

She sat there, I guess taking in all that I just said. “So whats been up with you?” She said taking the attention off of herself.

I took a deep breath. “Well the visit to see Derrick was a total bust. I mean I was just telling him how I was ready to move on and I didn’t want to sit out this prison sentence with him and it was unfair to make me wait on him. Girl then he hauled off and slap the shit out of me and in front of my son. That is not the person I fell in love with. People change. I just wish he understood that and let me be happy.”

She walked over and hugged me. “I’m sorry we had to go through this.”

“Yea me too. But u know what will probably make us feel better?”

She stared at me then let out a small laugh. “You Green’s are all the same.”

“What?”

“Girl, you and your brother are just alike. Whenever ya’ll are sad, mad, or disappointed about something, you have to eat!” I laughed hysterically. It was true. I wanted her to cook something. “What do you want to eat?”

“How about chicken salad and homemade chips? That’s easy and quick. Plus you cook almost better than my mama. Don’t tell her I said that either.”

She ran her fingers across her lips like making the zipper signal.

While she was peeling the potatoes, I found the obituary section. Just my luck I ran across Maurice’s picture and read the passage. It said that the body was held at Golden Gate funeral home. The wake would be held this coming Thursday night and funeral services were held Friday afternoon at two.