Chapter 6

As I walked in the house, I was thinking about the long day ahead of me. The day shift and the night shift. Damn I forgot to tell DJ not to get on the bus after school. That’s okay. I’ll just email the school and let the teacher know not to put him on the bus. I went in the bathroom took a quick shower to get ready for my day. Before I got dressed, I grabbed my laptop and started to write Derrick a letter.

Hey Love,

How r u? I hope everything is going well for you and you’re staying out of trouble. You know that’s your middle name. But anyway DJ is doing great.  Every time I look at him I see your beautiful light brown eyes. Of course, I have him Polo’d down to the T every day. His grades are great this six weeks but attitude not so great (which im sure you already know.) He can act like a spoiled brat at times but overall he’s a great kid.

On another note I am writing to let you know that we will be down to see you Saturday morning. I need to talk to you about something important. Something happened the other day and I’m not sure why. But that conversation can wait. I do not want to get into detail through this letter. Plus we haven’t seen you in a month. I’m pretty sure you will be calling soon to talk with DJ and not about what happened with me. AGAIN THIS IS A CONVERSATION I WANT TO HAVE FACE TO FACE.

Other than that, I am well, taking care of our son and working. That’s pretty much all I have time for. Now I gotta get ready for work… I love you take care babe. See ya soon.

P.S. Always remember to P.U.S.H. (Pray Until Something Happens)

~NIK~

I signed into my JPay account. JPay was a website where you could put money on an inmate’s books; write a letter that they would receive instantly, and video chat. I paid for the stamp and sent the letter. I also sent DJ's teacher an email letting her know that my father would pick DJ up today and if she needed anything don't hesitate to call me.

I called my dad to let him know he would need to pick DJ up from school. “Hey Daddy.”

“Hey baby.” Rolling my eyes, I sighed there goes that baby shit again.

“Can you pick up DJ today after school and also spend the night? I have to work a double shift.”

“Yea that’s fine. Did you give him so money?”

“Money for what?” “I’m not feeding that fatboy. Ya’ll send ya kids over here to eat up all my damn groceries and don’t pay me back.”

“Daddy quit trippin. You know I got you.”

“yea you say that every time too. Where you working at today?” My phone beeped in my ear. Dria was calling.

“Daddy I gotta go. Mama calling me. I call you later.” What? So I lied to get off the phone. We all do it.

“Hey girl whats up?”

“Nothing bored as hell.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t have to work for the next couple days.” I was really starting to get clueless. Dria was one of the best dancers why wasn’t she on schedule.

“and why is that?”

“Girl, you didn’t hear? The club is going to be shut down for the next week or so until they figure out this whole murder mess with Maurice.” I sat there in total disbelief. 

“Well since you don’t have to work , I don’t either.”

"Girl when are you gonna tell your parents that you strip and not a security guard?” she said with a laugh.