Chapter 7

When I pulled up to Dria’s house, I blew the horn and sent her a text letting her know I was outside. I thought I saw Darryl’s Lincoln Town car speed through the apartments but maybe I was tripping. She got in the car wearing an all black Guess outfit. She lit a blunt, hit it a couple times and then passed it to me. This was our favorite pastime. I took it and inhaled deeply and immediately started choking. Dria laughed at me.

“Slowed down rookie. That’s not corn. That’s dro.”

Damn, my brother must’ve found a good connect. This was some good shit. Darryl supplied us with any type of drug we wanted and for free.

“Well why didn’t you say this was some new shit before you passed it to me?” I asked.

She laughed. “It don’t matter anyway. Hit it up a couple more times and I guarantee you will be high as kite.”

True to her word, I drove to the Northpark Center high as hell. I turned the volume up on the radio when I heard Young Jeezy’s song “I Do”.

I said see some ladies in here tonight I might marry

Gone off the Belvi and Trone its too scary

Baby you can have whatever you like, the tooth fairy

I’ll do anything to leave here tonight with you Sherry

I do, I do, I do, I doooo…..

We sung from the car all the way into the mall. It felt good to laugh and have fun. We were walking into BeBe when she suggested we go to Plush tonight.

“Girl I don’t feel like going out plus my hair is not fresh.”

“Nikki, come on lets go. Quit being a party pooper. We haven’t been out in a month.” 

I was thinking about the last time I really went out. It has been a month since we been to a club other than where we worked. “Well I don’t have DJ tonight anyway, so I guess. I really need a drink to take my mind off this whole Maurice situation.”

“Text Carmyn and April and let them know we going out and they need to be ready at ten.”

 I pulled out my phone and sent a mass text message my sisters.

“What are you wearing?”

“I have a black and white Arden and B halter dress I haven’t worn yet. I just need shoes. What about you?"

“I don’t know yet. Let’s go to BCBGMAXARIA next door. I’m pretty sure I will find something in there.”

After about four hours of shopping, laughing and eating lunch with my bestfriend, I dropped her off and went home to get ready for the night. I called my daddy to talk with DJ.

“Hey lil dude.”

 “Whats up lil mama?”

I smacked my lips. “Boy cut that crazy talk out right now. Where do you get that from?”

“Uncle Darryl, Uncle Devin, and Uncle Dante.”

I made a mental to note to have a conversation with my brothers about their language around my son. He is repeating everything he hears.

“Don’t talk like that.”

“Well how come you can call me lil dude but I cant call you lil mama? Is it because you real big?”

I laughed loud. “Okay DJ stop being so technical about everything. I do not want you speaking ebonics. You will create a habit and I want you to know the difference. Comprende?”