Chapter 3

When the club closed, Maurice and I walked to our cars. We decided to grab breakfast from Ihop rather than going to either one of our houses to cook. This was our routine which sometimes included Dria but since she left at 2am it was going to be only the two of us. He grabbed my hand as I pressed the unlock button to my truck. I looked at our hands clasped together and then to his face. I felt butterflies.

“Boy what are you doing?”

“Nikki, when will you give me a chance?”

I smiled. “Here you go again. Maurice you’re a good guy but I don’t want a relationship. I have a son to think about and I want to go to school and get my degree in journalism. I don’t have time for a commitment.”

This wasn’t his first time flirting with me. Maurice was sexy. He was about 6’3, light-skinned with a 5 o’clock shadow and his hair was braided to the back. He reminded me of the rapper Jim Jones.

“Well let’s not be committed” he said as he pressed his body against mine and our lips almost touching. I knew what he was thinking.

 “Boy I am not a booty call” playfully pushing him away.

 “Well, you know whatever type a man you looking for, I can be that.” I laughed out loud. He was so corny.

“Ok, dude. Meet me in thirty minutes I need to stop by the ATM before we eat.” 

He opened my door and when I got in and turned my ignition, he leaned in and kissed me. I closed my eyes. The kiss was soft and sensual. I felt safe only for a few seconds.  

POW! POW! POW!

Three gunshots rang out and the soft kiss I was sharing with Maurice abruptly ended when he bit my bottom lip and his eyes rolled to the back of his head.

I heard the sound of tires screeching, only to see a black car pull off. Right then it seemed like time stopped. Maurice lay slumped over in my lap and I just stared at him. I was in a state of shock. The song “Hammer” by Beatking sounded from my cell phone. Dria was calling. Would she think I had something to do with shooting Maurice? Would she give me advice on what to do if I answered the call? Snap out of it Nikki. I needed to call the police.

I quickly hit the ignore option on my iPhone and dialed 9-1-1. “9-1-1, what is the nature of your emergency” the operator said.

“My boy- I mean my friend was just shot.  I need an ambulance now. Please hurry.” I screamed through my tears.

“Okay ma’am I going to dispatch an ambulance for you. What is the address of your location?” Damn! I didn’t even know the address. I sat silent for a few seconds.

“Ma’am, are you there?”

“Yea, I don’t know the address.  We work at Ecstasy Gentleman’s club in Dallas. We were leaving work. Can you just like just pin point my cell phone or something?”

“Yes ma’am that’s already been done. Now is your friend breathing?”

“I don’t know, lady.” I was getting annoyed. She kept asking questions that I didn’t feel were necessary to be answered at that time.

My phone started beeping in my ear. I took a quick glance at the phone, Dria was calling again. Why the hell does she keep calling me? I put the phone back to my ear. The operator was still asking questions. I heard faint sound of sirens in the distance so I disconnected the call. “Hammer” started singing again.

I answered with an attitude, “What?”

“I was just trying to see if u made it home, tramp.” I instantly felt bad. When Dria and I didn’t leave the club at the same time, we called to make sure the other was at home or somewhere safe.