chapter 23

"And tomorrow we'll start with the project, I expect all the work to be done and don't leave anything open. This will be your most important mark other than the exams. So focus." our math teacher finished.

We packed up since the bell had already rung and left. I looked to where Sam used to sit, a part of me kinda hoped to see him throwing a paper jet at the teacher's head like he would, and that none of this is real, but it's just an empty seat.

The grim line on my face still hadn't vanished. I pull tight on the strap of my back pack as I look around.

I'm being very dramatic, I feel as if every person I pass is judging me, even though I know they have no clue what's going on.

I've been pretty moody the last few periods. Math just ended and that means a free period. Perfect.

All my friends had class so I walked to my car alone. I payed extra attention to my surroundings today. I listened to the lively sounds of cars, and looked at other students walking around.

I looked up to see a few birds, and they just looked so majestic- no, I can't do this.

This is too girly and serious, I really don't care, I just want to get out of class, where I'm suffocating.

I ignore everyone and everything on the way to my car. When I get there I hop up on the hood and lay back against the windshield.

I pop my earphones on and start playing my favourite song at the moment, "Lost Boy". I feel as if it speaks directly to me. It's about people wanting to be free in today's world.

I silently start humming with it and close my eyes. I suddenly felt the presence of a person near me. And I smelt the all too familiar scent.

The smell of seduction and fresh forest rain.

"Go away Ashton." I said bitterly.

"We need to talk."

I sighed, "No we don't, there's nothing to talk about, and isn't Tasha somewhere waiting for you?" I asked, hoping he'll just go away.

I'll never let him know, but he was making me nervous by standing there. Some feelings always stay in the back of your mind, like the attraction towards a guy that's not your boyfriend.

"No she's not. We're not together anymore." He stated.

I lifted myself into a sitting position, careful not to show my excitement.

"Really? Why?" I asked curiously.

He gave a small smile that said he knew something, "we found out that we didn't want the same things. And it's cool between us though" He finished.

I was curious to what he was playing at, "she doesn't hate you, that's a first!" I said sarcastically and lied back down.

He put his one hand on the hood right next to my hips. "Look, I'm not here to talk about Tasha. There's alot more." I saw his face and he looked desperate to talk about this.

I hesitated, but decided that I couldn't ignore him forever.

"Fiiiiine, but just not now, let's meet after school." I said, without asking if it was okay with him.

He ran a hand through his hair, which looked like he had been doing that for a while.
"Yeah ok, I'm coming to your house." That's all he said before walking off.

I see now that Grey was standing a few metres away, waiting for him.

They look incomplete without Sam walking on the other side of Ashton. The thought makes me sad, so I just played my song again and tried to block out the world.