{Chapter 7} Loss

updated every friday!

~~

Chapter 7

Eventually Jace got the hang of skating and we skated around the rink for hours. Eventually my fingers went numb and my feet started hurting so we decided to call it a day.

I learned that Jace grew up in the UK and then moved here with his new family. He didn’t have an accent anymore because it’d been a long time since he’d been in London. He was reluctant to talk about his parents, and of course I told him he didn’t have to. Eventually he told me that they died in a fire and that he almost did too.

“Carlisle found me,” he said as we skated. “I had managed to crawl out the front door of our home. He heard the screams. It was too late for my parents. He saved me that night, and I wouldn’t be here now if it weren’t for him. I owe him so much for what he did for me.” I watched his expression turn thoughtful. “It couldn’t have been easy for him.”

“What couldn’t have been easy for him? Didn’t he just take you to a hospital or something?” I asked curiously.

“Something like that.” He chuckled. “Though you wouldn’t believe me if I told you what really happened.”

“I’m glad he saved you.” I whispered. “I’m really sorry for your loss.”

“It was a very very long time ago.” He said. “I guess that’s why I can relate to you so well. You’ve lost a lot too.”

“Every day I live with the constant fear that I’m going to lose my dad. I’ve lost so many people in my lifetime that losing another would probably kill me.” I told him.

“Good thing you won’t.” Jace smiled down at me and gripped my hand tighter in his.

I took our skates into the back room and then proceeded to tie my shoes.

“So you’ve lived here your whole life?” he asked as he did the same.

“Yeah, I grew up here. And don’t get me wrong, I love it here but I just really dream of seeing other things. I’ve always wanted to go to New York and London. Paris and Italy.”

“New York is very busy and it constantly smells like hotdogs and gas. London it beautiful but there really isn’t much to do. Paris is lovely in the summer but very cold in the winter and Italy is hit or miss. You really aren’t missing much.” He said with a shrug and helped me up off the bench.

“You’ve been to all those places?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“Have you traveled anywhere else?”

“I’ve pretty much traveled the world.” He laughed. I led him back the way we came. I locked the doors behind us.

“You have no idea how lucky you are.” I said as I climbed into his car. “I’ve been stuck here my whole life and it sucks.”

“Well maybe someday you’ll get to see all the places you want to go.” He smiled and pulled out of the parking lot. I leaned over and put my head on his shoulder.

“Depends on if I’m alive or not.” I told him. He wrapped an arm around me and squeezed my shoulder.

“Believe me when I say you will get to leave this town, even if it’s just for a little while.” Jace kissed the top of my head. “Now help me because I’m lost.”