{Chapter 12} Acceptance

Chapter 12

After a very long argument with Jace and his family it was decided (by them) that I would stay with them for a couple of days until I felt better. I argued that I was fine, that I’d get over it. Jace growled. I yelled. Alice said “being somewhere quiet would help me recover.” I said Mary’s place was just fine. Jace argued that Mary wouldn’t let him see me twenty four seven to make sure I was okay. Emmett made an inappropriate joke. I glared. Esme agreed with Jace. I told them –for the ninth time –I’d be fine. Jace said I couldn’t lie to him. I told him I wasn’t. He gave me puppy dog eyes. I folded.

And that was how the day went by so quickly. Jace drove me to Mary’s to pack some things and change out of my wet clothes.

“Really you don’t have to keep me under twenty four hour watch. I’ll be fine.” I sighed as we climbed into the car.

“There are sharp things in that house.” Was all he said.

“There are sharp things in your house too.” I observed.

“None that you’ll be touching.” He said icily.

“I don’t need a babysitter.” I frowned.

“You don’t want me around?” He asked.

“That’s not what I meant. I just feel bad.” I leaned against his shoulder but I could tell he was getting angry.

“I want you to be safe and in my arms.” He hissed. “Mary’s place is too loud. There are too many kids. You can stay with us for as long as you want.” His voice was hard. I couldn’t understand why he was so angry. I sat up and leaned my head against the window instead of his shoulder.

“I don’t want to be a charity case.”

“You aren’t a charity case.” He said. “Christ, Sophie, we’re just trying to help.” He was getting exasperated. He gripped the wheel a little tighter.

“I don’t want to be an inconvenience.”

You are not an inconvenience!” He yelled. I squeezed my eyes shut and curled into a ball. Jace stayed silent.

“I’m sorry for making you angry.” I whispered. I opened my eyes again and looked down at my chipped nail polish, feeling very small. He sighed and pulled into the driveway.  Jace got out of the car and walked around to my side, his lips in a tight line. I leaned my head against the chair instead of the window. He opened the door and leaned against the frame.

“I’m sorry for getting angry. It’s not your fault. I’m just worried about you.” He said. He ran a hand along my cheek before kissing my nose. Jace then picked me up out of the car, causing a surprised cry from me, and carried me to the front door since I was in bare feet and the driveway was made of gravel.

As if she was waiting behind the door, Mary opened it. I expected her to be angry with me, but she looked concerned. Jace put me back down and I gave her a small smile.

I know how I must have looked to her. I was pretty shaken up. My hair was a mess of curls and I was in Jace’s t-shirt and a pair of shorts that were both soaking wet.

“You didn’t tell Hannah?” I asked. She shook her head. “Good.” I said, entering the house. I watched Jace walk in after me. I pursed my lips.

“I’ll go make some tea.” Mary offered and walked into the kitchen.

“Vampires don’t have to be invited in?” I stared at him curiously as he shut the door behind me. He stared at me and then burst out laughing.

“Oh, Sophie.” He  swung an arm over my shoulder and lead me to the kitchen. “I’ll answer all your questions later.”

“When’s later?”