{Chapter 35} Revenge

Chapter 35

I leaped across the chasm, hands formed into claws and ready to rip Vincent’s eyes out. I threw everything Jonah had taught me to the wind. I couldn’t think straight. Jace was gone. He fell into the pit of fire and I had no idea if he could survive that. Just that thought made me want to disappear but I had too much anger boiling inside me. The chances that Jace was alive were slim and a part of me knew he was gone. Revenge was calling my name.

Vincent grabbed both wrists and flung me. I rolled to a stop just before I hit the river. Barely a second passed before I was on my feet again. I was no longer Sophie. I was something else; something stronger; something ruthless; something created to kill.

“Careful, love. You’re getting sloppy,” Vincent taunted. That only fueled my anger.

I knew letting my anger take control would only distract me and that I wouldn’t be able to end Vincent. It was blindsiding me. I needed to clear my head but I couldn’t stop thinking about Jace.

Did it hurt when he fell into the fire? Did he struggle? Or was he lucky and somehow survived? Did he die easily and painlessly?

My promise was ringing in my ears. If it came down to his life I’d ignore the nagging voice in me that was saying ‘no one deserves to die’ because there was only one person I could think of to which that rule didn’t apply. And that man was standing fifty feet away from me.

“You’re just like her,” Vincent said. He didn’t have to yell for me to hear him.

“I assume you mean Julianna,” I said. I stayed in my predatory stance. Vincent only hummed in agreement. “From what I’ve heard I’m nothing like her.”

“Then I am afraid to say, my dear, you have not learned enough.” He took a few steps forward, brushing non-existent dirt from his sleeve. “She fought me, the way you are right now. For the same reason too. She also had lovely red hair… only hers was natural.”

I charged again. Our hands connected and I worked hard on pushing him back.

 It was like he was a feather.

 I could barely feel his strength pressing back on me. I walked forward, shoving him towards the chasm. I couldn’t help but notice the fire had gone out. There was no one left to use his borrowed gift on.

I tightened my grip on his hands and flung him into the earth behind me. The ground gave way beneath him. Chunks of dirt and grass flew up from the impact. I stepped on his throat. I jerked slightly, wondering if I could break his neck. Nothing happened except for the quiet sound of something shattering. Something that sounding like porcelain cracking.

Distracted, I barely noticed Vincent grab my ankle and smash me into the dirt beside him. There was a fine crack in the skin on his neck. Could I rip him apart?

I rolled before his fist made contact with face and was up in a flash. “It must suck,” I said, “that for once you can’t cheat off of someone else’s gift. That you have to realize that you might actually lose.” We were circling each other.

“Don’t get cocky just yet, my sweet angel in red. You aren’t as tough as you think you are.” I growled.

“You don’t get to call me pet names. I am not a replacement for Julianna.” He seemed to freeze, like I’d hit the nail right over the head. “That’s why you’re so interested in me? Not because Jace wants me but because I remind you of her?” I tried not to burst into laughter. “Wait, wait, wait, don’t tell me… Julianna didn’t want you… she wanted Jace. And that’s why she turned on you. Because you were keeping her from Jace.”

Vincent’s fist slammed into my jaw and made me stumble backwards slightly, towards the chasm. I glared. “’Now you’ve done it,’” I quoted him. I kicked his chest hard and watched him fly backwards. He skidded across the ground and came to a halt when his back collided with a boulder next to the river. It cracked into pieces.

He was up again, charging towards me. My hand shot out and froze him on the spot. His eyes were shooting daggers.

I walked forward and gave him a sweet smile before wrapping my hands tightly around his throat and lifting him off the ground. I found myself wishing Emmett could see that I was holding a grown man, twice my size, off the ground with only one hand.

His legs flailed and attempted at kicking me but I dodged. His hands worked on prying my fingers apart but it wasn’t doing any good. I was a newborn vampire and I was stronger than him.

“Do it,” he dared. “Kill me. But then what? When you snap out of your bloodlust how are you going to deal with the fact that you killed someone? That you killed a human being –“

“You are nothing close to a human being. You’re a monster. I doubt you were ever even human. You don’t even have humanity –“

Vincent continued like I’d never even spoken a word. “—and not to mention that fact that your boy-toy is now dead –“

He is not my boy-toy!” I hissed through my teeth.

The feeling of fire licking through my veins was the feeling of pure power; of pure ecstasy. It was the exact opposite of the venom. This was my fire and it was my power and this was my kill. I was going to end this.

My grip tightened and my fingers dug into his flesh, cutting off any retort he was tempted to make. My nails sliced through his neck and his struggling became more and more desperate. I cocked my head to the side, a wide grin spreading across my face. As much as I didn’t want to admit it, I was enjoying Vincent’s desperation.

I forced my power forward. The fire in my veins traveled its way to my fingertips and then into Vincent. A scream of pure agony ripped his way up his throat as the fire consumed him.

Vincent’s first scream wasn’t even over before my hand snapped through his neck and silence rung through the clearing. The only sound that could be heard was the thud of his body, then his head hitting the earth beneath my feet. I stared at his body for a moment, marvelling at what I’d done, before setting it on fire and watching the body turn to ash.  

“Jesus why is everyone calling me your boy-toy? What are you hiding from your past? Am I just another one night stand? Please don’t go breaking my heart. I don’t think I can take it, angel,” a voice dipped in sarcasm called from behind me. I spun around, my heart in my throat. The bloodlust subsided and I grinned, so overcome with relief and happiness.

Jace.”  I was in his arms in a flash.

The End ~

~~~~

hello lovelies...

i'm sorry to say that i'm thinking that this will be the last chapter of this story... BUT OF COURSE THERE WILL BE AN EPILOGUE. I PINKY SWEAR. 

AND PLEASE READ THE EPILOGUE BC I KNOW YOU WILL ALL ADORE IT

ALSO:

I'M THINKING ABOUT WRITING THIS STORY AGAIN BUT IN THE PERSPECTIVE OF JACE

please let me know if you think you'd like to read that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ PRETTY PLEASE 

i am so sorry this is late by the way. friday i got back from vacation and i was still sick so i went straight to bed.

then saturday was my 16th birthday so... that was amazing

then sunday was my big bros engagement party soo... yea. i am so sorry.

lots of love. i'll see you thursday or saturday (: i absolutely promise this time.

lots and lots and lots of love

kisses