{Chapter 33} Peace

Chapter 33

I was so amazed by sunlight on my skin that Jace and I ended up sitting outside for a few hours more.

I watched the sun glitter off his chest, his face, my hands, my legs. It was so odd and so different that at first I’d stare in awe, distracted the way all new vampires were, when the crystals that were our skin caught my eye again, or laugh because Jace sparkling was hard not to laugh at.

When I first met him, he was dark.  His clothes, his aura and even the way he spoke –all dark. And now, watching him lie in the sun with his eyes on me, it was hard not to crack a smile.

It was nice to forget everything for a little while and wondered if I’d get more days like that one, where time was suspended and it was just us. Then I remembered the reason I was given the chance to be there with him, why I was able to breathe properly and why I didn’t have to worry about turning into a ticking time bomb. I was a vampire and time meant nothing.

I no longer had to worry about cancer eating my heart or watch the time for when I needed to take my iron pills. I hadn’t felt numb yet and even if I had I wouldn’t have been able to cut myself. Knives couldn’t penetrate our skin.

Jace brushed his knuckles along my cheek. He looked just as distracted as I felt. He ran his thumb over my bottom lip. He had a little smile on his face, where on side his lips curved up more than the other and an almost visible dimple was trying to pop out of his left cheek. His cocky trademark bad boy smile.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked.

“Because I have everything I want,” he said. “And I always get what I want,” he said, pecking my lips. I smiled. This was never going to end. Time was an endless infinity and I didn’t think I’d ever get bored of him.

“Do you think you’ll ever get bored of me?” I watched his smile falter and a look of what almost looked like fear flash in his eyes.

“Never,” he whispered, looking me in the eye.

“Promise?”

“I promise.” There was a long silence. “Losing you is my biggest fear and it worries me that you think I could leave you –after everything we’ve been through. I think it’d tear me apart.” He almost looked hurt that I’d brought it up and guilt sat heavy on my shoulders.

“It’s not that I don’t trust you. I believe you when you say you’ll stay. It’s just something I can’t help thinking about. We have all this time and what if in a few decades you –“

“Angel,” his voice was soft. “I love you and a dozen centuries definitely won’t change that.”

“How old are you anyway?” I asked, changing the subject. I chewed my bottom lip to keep from smiling.

“Nineteen.” He flashed a dazzling smile that almost made me forget my question.

“You said you were born in 1670. June 27th to be exact.”

“I’m sure you can do the math then.” He winked. Clearly my photographic memory didn’t surprise him anymore.

“Isn’t he a little old for you, love?” A terrifyingly familiar voice called from across the yard. Jace and I sat up in shock, staring at the shimmering figure standing by the river. His British accent was just as thick as the first night I’d heard it and it made me shudder with recognition.

He was in all black, the way Jace usually dressed and his brown hair was tousled. His red eyes matched my own but the only difference was that his weren’t because he was a newborn vampire. His were because he fed on human blood.