{Chapter 23} Game Start

Chapter 23

I didn’t waste any time. I jumped from the bed and raced down the stairs, pushing open the attic door with a bang. My heart was pounding in my ears and I found it hard to breathe. I needed iron and I didn’t have time to stop for it.

My Hannah. My little Hannah was in danger. I couldn’t waste any time.

Jace was running up the stairs to meet me, a look of worry on his face. He grabbed me by the shoulders and searched me, looking for any injury or anything that could have scared me. I was sobbing uncontrollably. Vincent didn’t have a sliver of my trust, which meant I wouldn’t have been surprised if he hurt my little sister.

Jace kept trying to get me to tell him what was wrong. I couldn’t form a response. I just kept sobbing, trying to get the horrid words out of my mouth. He shook me slightly.

“You have to tell me what’s wrong darling or I can’t help you.” He pleaded with me.

“He has Hannah.” I cried. “Vincent has my little sister.” Jace froze, his grip tightening on my arms.

“Are you sure?”  I nodded my head.

“He called me. He said he has her and that I’m supposed to meet him at the warehouses just outside of town.” I tried not to mention that he wanted them all there. I wasn’t going to put them in any danger.

“What else did he say? Did he ask you to come alone? How did he think you were going to get away from us?” He asked. I stayed silent.  “Sophie?” I closed my eyes and shook my head.

“He wanted everyone to come with me to get her. He said it would make the game more fun.”  I confessed.

“Well you aren’t coming and not all of us are going. We’ll go get your sister and I’ll deal with Vincent while we’re at it.” My eyes widened and I gripped his shirt in my fist.

“You are not going. I am not going to risk losing you.” I growled. “No one is going but me.” Jace threw his head back and laughed.

“Are you insane? You are definitely not going. All the mayhem we went through today will not end with your death. Do you understand?” I just stared at him, willing with him with my eyes to stay here and let me go. “Sophie, I will bring your little sister back safely and all of us will return home to you unharmed. I am not going to let him rip us apart.” Jace held my face in his hands. “If it comes to it Sophie I will compel you to stay here. I am not losing you.”

“And how do you think I feel? Jace if you die, I die.”

“The exact same thing goes for me.” He glared at me and I glared back.

“It seems as though we are at an impasse.” I said. Jace almost cracked a smile. He reached forward and tugged me against him.

“Everything is going to be fine.” He whispered. “Hannah will be safe and I will come home to you.”

“I can’t let you go.” I sobbed. Jace held me tighter and kissed my hair. “Please let me go with you.” I attempted to compromise. He shook his head. “But I’m your partner in crime.” I whined.

“Nothing is going to happen, princess; nothing except the end of Vincent’s reign of terror.” He pulled away and rested his hand on my cheek. I felt like throwing up. I was sending Jace to his possible death. I didn’t doubt that the gifts the vampires had in this house could defeat Vincent but the anxiety only flushed me with worry.