{Chapter 1} Bluenose

Chapter 1

I adjusted my white skirt on my thighs as the wind blew it to the side. My bright red hair -which I had dyed -hit my left cheek. I pulled the high pony tail over my right shoulder and reached up to make sure the pink bow was still in place. I rubbed my toes against the warm cement stairs me and my best friend, Sky, were sitting on.

Shadows started to fall over our schools courtyard and I looked up at the sky. The mid-afternoon rays were now covered by grey clouds. Today was the last day of school, and then it was winter break. It was cold outside but not cold enough to avoid wearing my signature outfits which consisted of skirts or dresses. I sighed and checked my phone.

"We should probably get inside. The bell's going to ring in fifteen minutes." I told Sky. She turned her head towards me and stared.

"You're kidding right? Why would you want to get to class so early? Oh wait -that's right! You're Sophie, the schools biggest goody-goody." Her hair was in a high pony too. Sky had long dark brown hair and tanned skin. She was really skinny too; you'd actually think she was anorexic. I thought she was really pretty too. We were best friends. Inseparable. There was an invisible line that connected us.

Me on the other hand; I had dyed red velvet red hair and dark blue eyes. I was really skinny too, but that's only because I was anorexic. I couldn't eat because I thought I was fat, when in reality I was the skinniest person in most of my classes. I had really low self esteem last year. I had even started to cut myself too. Transferring from middle school to high school was a big jump and I used to be teased about my goody-goody rep, as Sky would call it. After a year, I stopped getting teased and I became popular. Now everyone knew me and I was the "Nicest It-Girl You'll Ever Meet!" according to the schools newspaper article about me. II was also head cheerleader, but I hated it. I was only doing cheerleading to help with my flexibility for dance.

We went to an art school. A school where dance, art, singing and music were all more important than reading, writing and math. Silverstone School for the Contemporary Arts was the only art school in Silverstone. I was originally going to enroll in a normal high school but Sky -who went there for track and field -and Mary thought that because I was so into dancing I should enroll there. So I did.

Nobody has ever seen where I lived because it wasn't a home. Not even Sky, because I wouldn't let her. She knew that I was an orphan and she knew I lived in an orphanage but I still wouldn't let her see it.

There wasn't anything wrong with it. It was a nice four story building with around twenty two kids in it at the time. I was the fourth oldest at age sixteen.The oldest kid there was Jonah, my brother, and the youngest was my sister, Hannah, who was six. Mary took good care of all of us. She didn't abuse us or anything. She was a caring old lady who never married but had always wanted kids.

So here we are.

"And why wouldn't you? Oh wait -that right. You're the schools biggest truant!" I grinned and reached over to pull my black flats onto my feet. I stood up and brushed the back of my skit off and adjusted my bright pink blouse. "Is there any dirt on my butt?" I asked. Sky shook her head at me and then she grinned.

"See you in biology." She winked and then stood up too, walking off in the opposite direction.

"But biology is last block!" I called. "We still have sixth and seventh before that!" She put her hands up and I shook my head at her.

We were opposites but we were still best friends. Opposites attract, right?

I skipped down the steps and turned to walk into the schools main entrance.