{Chapter 21} Fear

Chapter 21

Everyone was silent. No one moved. Jace’s grip was tight around me. My breaths were shallow. I was probably the only one breathing.

The silence was slowly becoming defining. I was staring out the glass doors and into the forest surrounding the Cullen’s hose. What if he was watching? What if he could see me? What if he could see the fear plastered on my face?

The fear was so intense that the temperature dropped. Snow started to fall outside and I tried my hardest to make it stop before something like a blizzard happened but my mind my spinning. There was no chance in stopping the storm that was about to happen.

“I never thought he’d find me.” Jace said. Thank god he spoke up because I was about to snap. “I should leave. It’s not fair you all have to suffer because of my past.” He combed his fingers through my hair and held my head in the crook of his neck.

 “He knows that’s the first thing you’ll think of. He knows you’ll leave her behind because you think it’ll be safer for her. News flash, Jason: he wants her dead. It doesn’t matter if we’re here or not.” Edwards ran his hands over his face, trying to think of a way out of this.

“I’m so sorry.” Jace whispered. “I didn’t think he’d come back. I didn’t mean to drag any of you into this –especially you, Sophie.” He pulled me away from my chest so he could look me in the eyes. “You have no chance against him in a fight.” A look of pain crossed his features when he saw the horror in my eyes. After all of it –the cancer, the cutting, the anorexia –my life was going to end in the hands of a vampire.

“I could electrocute him.” I said, trying to lighten the mood. As if an idea hit them all at once everyone’s head snapped to me. I froze and stared wide eyed at them.

“I know we could end him without her but there is still a chance that he could get to her without us knowing. We can’t fight and protect her.” Jasper said. “This way, if it comes to it, she has a chance.” Jace’s hand ran across my cheek, along my jaw and slowly down my neck towards my collarbone.

“Her gifts will be undefeatable.” Carlisle mused. I still didn’t understand. I looked to Jace for answers but he was staring at me thoughtfully with a ghost of a smile on his face.

“I know how much graduation means to you.” Jace said at last. I furrowed my eyebrows. What did my education have to do with Vincent? “But if you were in my shoes, you’d understand that, for me, your life outbalances your wants. I could care less what you want at the moment. Your life is at risk and there is no way I am losing you. I’m very sorry, Sophie, but we’re not waiting until graduation to turn you. Hell, we aren’t going to wait another day.” My eyes widened and I started shaking my head, trying to pull away from him. Of course I couldn’t; his hold was like steel. My heart started thumping in my chest. No, I wasn’t ready. I understood the risk but I couldn’t change now. Now was too soon.

“No, Jace, please don’t.” I begged. My eyes started to water but I swallowed back the tears. He wouldn’t hurt me like that would he?

I knew Jace saw the fear in my eyes and he brushed my hair back from my face. “You’re going to be okay, Sophie. I’m going to be right here. No one is going to leave your side.” That’s when I realized how serious he was. I looked to the others for help but they all looked away from me. They knew he was right. “There’s nothing to be afraid of.” He cooed. I felt like throwing up. I wasn’t sure what I was most afraid of at the moment: Vincent, or turning?