{Chapter 13} Gifted

Chapter 13

“Wait here, I’m going to go see if it’s something I can fix.” Jace said kissing the side of my head and then climbing out of the car and into the pouring rain. It was raining so hard I could barely see down the street. I watched Jace pop the hood of his car. I looked into the back seat to see all my bags and even a few boxes. Jace was insane. He had insisted that I lie down for a bit and he would pack for me, though I’m sure he didn’t know what to pack. In the end he packed everything I owned –expect furniture. 

“Jace I’m not moving in with you! It’s only for a couple of days! I don’t need all my stuff.” I groaned from my position on the bed. I wasn’t in the mood to argue with him.

“Days? Months at the very least.” He muttered as he zipped up the last bag.

“Months? Jace!”  I cried, sitting up.

“What?”

“This is really unnecessary.” I sighed. I was going to argue with him whether I wanted to or not.

“How is it unnecessary?” He asked, placing his hands on his hips.

“I don’t need to stay with you and your family for months  or even days! I’ll be fine…” I wasn’t going to be fine though. I just didn’t see how Jace and his family was going to make me feel any better than me being alone in my bedroom would. At least here I could cry. And cut. Alone, I could pick myself back up easier. There weren’t going to be people who were going to try to make me feel something. Alone I could bottle it all up and try to forget the pain in my chest. Alone my thoughts were mine. Mary knew better than to try and help me when I was in pain. She knew I had my own thing and all she knew about it was that it worked.

I was so deep in thought I hadn’t realized Jace had gotten back into the car and was soaking wet. He had a hand on my shoulder and was staring at me, calling my name. How long had he been trying to get my attention? I looked up at him confused.

“The car broke down.” He told me. “We’re going to have to walk. Emmett is hunting somewhere around here. I called him and told him to come fix it. He knows more about cars than I do. I’m sorry.” He whispered.

“Don’t be sorry. It’s my fault it’s raining.” I muttered and went to get out of the car. Jace grabbed my wrist.

“What?”

“Nothing.” I said. I looked behind me at all my stuff. No one was going to take my stuff. We were in deserted part of town where only the orphanage and Jace’s house seemed to be. I climbed out of the car. The rain seemed to pour harder and I knew it was a reflection of my mood.

In less than a fraction of a second Jace was in front of me, wrapping his leather jacket around my shoulders. Not that it mattered, the dress I had changed into was already soaking wet from the rain. Jace was wearing a grey long sleeve shirt that clung to his body for dear life. I reached forward and touched my fist to his stomach. He chuckled and grabbed my hand. “It’s not too far away.” He said. “If you’re tired I can carry you.” I shook my head. Walking in the rain suited my mood. He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and I wrapped mine around his waist. I was shaking uncontrollably. It was freezing. But that didn’t stop me from holding onto Jace.

By the time we got to the dirt road leading up to his house Jace had forced me to let go of him, but he stayed close enough that our shoulders touched as we walked. I held his jacket tightly around me. I was pretty sure my lips were blue.  More than once Jace offered to carry me. Mainly because we would get there much quicker but each time I refused. Right as we made it up the stairs the front door swung open and Esme tugged me inside.