Chapter 8 - Competing With Myself

Papyrus' eye sockets were filled with the blood red glow of the glass orb clasped in his palm. He gazed at the container then his pupils slid up to the three before him. They were dirty, soaking wet, and covered with bumps and bruises. He cocked a brow bone, they were all in identical clothes with that identical grin.

"I'm impressed..." Papyrus stood and moved across the room. "To think you three morons actually managed to pull this sort of thing off."

As he passed them, he rubbed the top of Red's skull with a long slender talonlike hand. Red smiled and blushed, "Thanks, Boss."

He placed the orb on a bookshelf alongside several others of many colors. "But you were sloppy. You three could have been killed."

"But we weren't," Sans shrugged.

"Yet, one of you is badly hurt..." He snarked over his shoulder.

Red snatched Sans' sleeve, "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine..." They both snapped to Swap. With a quick search they could see the blood oozing from a slash in his ankle. Sans gasped sharply and dropped to one knee.

"When did you get that?" Red whispered in a raspy voice.

"W-when I put distance between you and the human..." Swap said sheepishly.

Sans pulled off the bloody slipper and tossed it aside, "Why didn't you say anything?" Sans scolded harshly. Red stuck his hand in Swap's pocket and pulled out a tiny first aid kit he knew Swap had put in there before they left. He dropped it down to Sans.

Swap nervously twisted a drawstring of his hoodie. "You all think I'm the weakest Sans... but I'm not. I've trained everyday to become part of the royal guard... I can fight. But..." He winced as Sans tied off the gauze he used. "I thought you would think I was even weaker if you knew I was the only one that got hurt."

"That is why you need me!" Papyrus announced. The Sanses all looked confused. "I the Great Papyrus, master of strategy and puzzles, shall devise a foolproof plan to lure the Underswap human here to take their determination! And keep you three alive."

"We have to do that again?!" Swap squeaked.

"Yes... and this version of the human will be far harder to capture. Go home... rest, heal, and ready yourself," Papyrus strode to the exit. "I shall begin making preparations for the master plan."

Red called after him, "You're not coming home with us, Boss?" He followed closely behind his brother.

"Of course not. I have work to do."

"But you've been working for days on end. You should at least come home and-" Papyrus simply left the room. "-eat," Red sighed heavily.

● ● ● ●

Back at their home, they bathed, put on clean clothes (their own clothes), and treated injuries. "Gentlemen, prepare yourselves for my world famous tacos!!" Swap replied triumphantly as he came from the kitchen. He place a plate in each of their laps.

Red took a healthy bite, however he immediately regretted it, "Are you serious? How the fuck did you manage to burn the outside and leave the rest frozen?"

"My best effort yet," Swap smiled proudly.

"I think their great!" Sans replied with a mouthful. It was clear he didn't really like it.

"Oh, I forgot the hot sauce..." Swap half skipped, half walked back to the kitchen.

"How are you eating that?" Red asked as he dropped his back onto his plate.

NarcissismOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara