Part 7

*Ryan’s PoV*

Heather cried the whole way home, but who could blame her; she lost a child she never knew she had. I asked the doctor if he knew what gender it was, and it was a little girl. Heather always told me she wanted a little girl, named Bethany.

That could have been Bethany.

I glanced at the folder on her lap, telling of the horrors she had experienced. I couldn’t understand why someone would hurt Heather like that. Or any girl for that matter.

We pulled in the driveway, and I turned to Heather, who was wiping her tears for the 5th time. “Do you need more time, or…” I trailed off as she shook her head, “I need to talk to my parents now.” I nodded, and opened her door. She got out, looking at me for a long beat before wrapping her arms around me and crying. I held her tight, and whispered, “It’s ok. Everything will be fine. I promise.”

We walked inside, after I brushed away Heather’s tears. Her parents were sitting on the couch watching something on TV. They looked up, and noticed Heather’s tear-stained face. Uncle Liam turned off the TV, and gestured for her to come over. She obeyed, and sat next to him, while I sat in a chair. “What happened, Baby?” he asked her, shooting a glance at me. She handed him the folder, and looked down at the floor.

He started to read it, horror written on his face. “Harley did this to you?” He asked, and she nodded, obviously holding back her tears. He looked back at the report as Aunt Annabel read along, mirroring her husband’s reaction. “Miscarriage?” she read, looking up at Heather, “Did he get you pregnant?” Heather nodded, and looked at me. I bit my lip, and looked down, to keep my emotions in. I heard her whimper, “Please don’t hate me…” Her parents pulled her into a hug, and her father said, “We don’t hate you; you’re the victim, and our daughter.” “Besides,” her mother said, “I know how that feels.” My head came back up; Aunt Annabel was abused?

“You do?” Heather asked, and her mom nodded, “It was a couple years ago, before I married your father.” Uncle Liam sighed; he obviously knew where this story was going. “Well, I had just had a fight with your father.” Aunt Annabel continued, “I was really upset, and I ran crying into town. I bumped into my ex-boyfriend, who acted really sweet to me. He offered to by me a drink, and… well…” She looked away, “He took advantage of me when I was drunk. Liam came and brought me back home, but it was too late. I was pregnant.” Heather bit her lip, and asked meekly, “Did the baby die?” My aunt sighed, “That baby was you…”