Shadow's Sleep Deprivation

It was lunch time I was rehearsing the reasons why my mom and dad should let me go on this trip.

"Hi Sonic." Amy's voice came from behind me.

I turned around, "oh hey Amy. Hope you weren't mad about this morning..."

"No it's okay. You don't have to walk me anymore if you don't want." She said a bit disappointed and looked down. I wasn't too worried about it though, I was busy looking out for Shadow and the others so I could flag them down to sit together.

I saw Knuckles coming out of the lunch line. I stood up and waved my hands above my head, "Heeeey!!! Knuckles!!"

His head looked up at the sound of his name and he seemed to light up a bit coming over and put in a smile, "hey guys." He said coolly.

"Where's everyone else? Do you know where Shadow is?"

He raised a brow looking at me odd, "Do you want to know where everyone is or are you mainly conserved about Shadow?"

"Wha-ah, b-both!" I said I felt myself lightly blushing, I had to hide it. I sat back down quickly.

"Well, Blaze stops off at her locker, Silver now carries everything she needs. Isn't that just cute?" He chuckled.

Amy smiled and nodded, "Aw Silver is such a good lover boy!~" she suddenly hugged onto my arm and nuzzled me.

Why was she hugging on to me like that, like I was hers to hug on to. It felt a little awkward and I squirmed in my seat trying not to push her away and hurt anyone's feelings. Knuckles noticed my uncomfortable reaction and looked at me funny again.

"Uh, Rouge Should be coming with Shadow soon. And Espio is on his way right now." He nodded and no more than 5 seconds Espio took his seat to Knuckles left. And no more than a minute later Blaze and Silver arrived along with Rouge and Shadow.

"Hey Shadow!" I stood up meeting him at the table. I noticed he didn't look very well and he even slightly jumped when I got up. "A-are you okay?" I asked concerned.

"Yes! I'm fine. Jeez why does everyone keep asking..." He grumbled and leaned against the trunk of a tree.

"He's finally getting the effects of his sleep deprivation." Rouge said quietly.

I rushed over to Shadow gripping his shoulders firmly and shook him a little, "Shadow when was the last time you slept?"

"Ah, get off me what do you care? I don't know! I'm not tired I'm just... High strung." He jumped again and roughly pushed me away. "Just don't mess with me."

My ears went down looking at him. He didn't seem slow or sleepy at all, I fact quite the opposite. His eyes seemed to dart from everywhere and he was jumpy at any movement close to him. His attitude defiantly didn't change though. His body must be producing a lot of adrenalin to force him to stay awake chasing him to be on high alert. His ears twitched at every little sound almost as if they could hear your thoughts... Why doesn't he sleep?