A Week Later

It had been a week since the senior trip; we had come back and slowly fell back into our normal school schedule, boring and plain. Amy still included in our group seemed to be somewhat more ‘tolerable’ by everyone else. But during the middle of the week something changed. Wednesday morning I came in to school stopping my way up the stairs to make it into the gym. It wasn’t snowing but it was still ice and slick with slosh from it slowly melting. We all took cover in the upstairs gym where I was much warmer and not likely to slip on your ass.

As always I met with the group just before Amy arrived and knew shorty after her arrival Shadow would be here soon. However it was beginning to get closer to the time of the bell and he still hadn’t arrived.

“Rouge, have you seen Shadow?” I asked interrupting her and Knuckles.

“Not since yesterday.” She shook her head and then began looking around, “You’re right though if he was coming he should have showed up a long time ago…”

I sighed and took out my phone and texted his number, ‘Where r u?’

Now again I was forced to play the waiting game with ever hopeful glances down at the phone when the teacher turns their back. Unfortunately he never answered back in the morning, I was left to walk Amy to her class and meet with Silver half way to our own classroom. And still by the afternoon as we sat at lunch, Espio feeling crowded inside the hot lunch room with a bunch of other students sitting all at one small table. By the last three classes I had given up on looking down at the phone every five minutes. I hated waiting for texts.

By the evening and the bell to dismiss school my phone vibrated!! I grabbed it out as fast as possible to read what the message said.

‘Check the mail.’ –Shadow.

“Check the mail?” I said to myself wondering what in the world he was talking about. I clicked around on the phone to make sure he wasn’t talking about email. I had nothing, so it must be in the mail box. What could it be?? I rushed home making sure to avoid any store robberies on the way (heh). I stopped in front of the mail and opened it up. It was a small white envelope with my father’s name on it and a few bills and ads. Was there something in here for me? I shuffled through the mail again looking at everything closely, but nothing seemed ‘special’ or different in anyway. Ugh gosh Shadow, why are you so weird… I came in the door greeting Mom who was reading a book on her favorite chair in the living room.

“Here dad.” I handed him the mail with the little envelope in front.

“Ah, what have we here? Bills, bills, and more bills?” He shuffled through the many papers, “Bleh, and junk…”

“I guess.” I shrugged and went up the stairs to my room. I sat on the bed and brought out the phone again.