I'll Never Turn My Back On You

I wasn’t sure what time it was when my eyes opened with the view of my blurry wall. My phone still up to my ear and open only Shadow had at some point disconnected during my sleep. I sat up listening hard trying to hear if anyone was still awake. I couldn’t hear anything; I looked down at the clock on my phone, 12am. Great it’s only midnight… I got out of bed, my hunger coming back and I opened my door going down stairs. I walked into the kitchen quietly hoping not to stir anyone.

“There’s a plate your mother saved you in the fridge.” My dad’s voice startled me from the dining room.

“Ah! Dad I didn’t know you were still awake.” I jumped and looked around the corner into the dining room.

“I’m technically always awake.” He waved to me across the table. I waved back and got my plate from the fridge and put it in the microwave for a few minutes. While I waited I sat down at the table next to where he sat.

“Everything okay dad?” I asked sensing that he was just a little not himself tonight.

“Um, yeah everything is fine.” He nodded.

“You’re thinking of something.” I said not letting him off that easy.

“Yes, just thinking…” He said softly seeming to still be more into his thoughts then ‘down to Mobius’.

“What are you thinking of?” I asked.

Finally he looked directly at me, “That letter.”

I knew it! I smiled quickly; I knew he couldn’t have given up!

“It was strangely written… but also made it sound like you know this person.”

“Well I… I do.”

“Who is it then?”

“Uh, a friend. From school.” I hesitated on saying completely.

“Sonic… what ‘friend’ exactly.” His digital eyes narrowed impatiently.

This isn’t going to be easy to explain… my ears went back as the microwave beeped loudly. I got up quickly to get my plate and brought it back to the table and poked around the food with my fork to mix and heat it evenly, and also to avoid eye contact with my dad.

“It’s that Shadow kid isn’t it?” He tapped his metal fingers against the table. I only could sink in my seat keeping my ears back I wasn’t going to tell on myself verbally but I’m sure my actions were a dead giveaway. “Sonic, didn’t I tell you to stay away from him, he’s dangerous and unstable and you don’t need to be around anyone like him or in his crowd.” He bunched a fist.

“No dad you don’t understand!” I sat up mushing my fork into my food, “We worked things out, he’s not mean anymore! He saved my life when I was walking home and got caught up in the robbery; he escorted me home but dared not come all the way because he didn’t want to upset you or mom! He took me out to dinner, and then paid my way to that trip last week!”

Dad seemed taken back; his head tilted seeming to comprehend what I was saying.

“He takes up for people when they’re in need and he doesn’t mean to be edgy and grumpy or purposefully be easy to blow up on people. All he really wants to do is help! He just has trouble expressing his softer side, he gets frustrated is all.”

Suddenly dad’s eyes seemed to smile as they flicked into their carrots again, “Oh sounds like you two gotten close.”

I smiled with relief he wasn’t mad about the lies I’ve had told to be with someone I wasn’t supposed to, instead he was only happy that I worked things out and wasn’t getting beaten by him anymore. “Yeah we kinda did.” I nodded feeling more relaxed.