Shadows Missing

The next day dad woke me up shaking me quickly.

“Wake up sleepy head!” He sang with a smile. I grumbled but got up anyway shifting from my side and sat up, then leaned against him, now that he wasn’t a hard metal frame, he made a nice pillow.

“Wake up Sunny boy!” A familiar voice spoke through the door way. My eyes popped open.

“Uncle Chuck!!” I jumped up and grabbed him in a hug.

“Hey there Sonic! Look at ya, the spittin image of your father!” He laughed hugging me back.

“And you! You varmint, who gave you the right to not age all these years!?” He bunched his fist and gave dad a hard thump on his arm. “Look at ya both! I look like grandpa instead of your uncle.” He grumbled.

“Aw no bro, you still look sixteen!~” Dad chuckled, “Only with white hair and some gray in the quills…”

“Yeah Shaddup.” He mumbled crossing his arms.

“Boys breakfast is ready!!” Mom called down stairs.

“Oh boy!” Uncle Chuck hurried down stairs racing dad to the table.

I slipped my shoes on and made it down stairs looking at everyone at the table, it was a new begging for us. It was almost hard to get used to seeing dad without his suit, yesterday mom kept thinking that dad was me walking into the room. Yet at the same time, it’s almost like he was always this way. After eating and finishing of getting ready, dad got on his shoes.

“Up for a race this morning?” He asked with a smile.

“Really?” I gasped, “To school?”

“Around the world in back if we had the time.” He laughed, “But we’ll start with school for beginners. I’m fast but not as fast as you.” He winked, “Just trying to test out all what I have after being trapped as a robot for years.”

Uncle Chuck began to laugh, “Remember that one time you raced me at school, and you was trekking at least 100 miles an hour, and you toppled over Bernie and rolled down the hill.”

“Yeah.” Dad smiled and blushed.

“Oh I remember.” Mom came in drying her hands from the dishes, “And my skirt came up while you were on top of me, and then I hit you clear across the field.”

Everyone laughed, “I think that right there was just the best day of his life.” Uncle Chuck leaned against the wall wiping the littler tears from his eyes from laughing too hard.

“Well Sonic let’s get going before you’re late.” Dad’s hand gripped my shoulder and headed for the door.

“Go on Sonic, its Juice time!” Uncle winked giving me a thumbs up. So in the cool morning Dad and I raced down the streets to get to school. Before he was normal he never really wanted to leave the house, not that he was afraid, but I think he didn’t want anyone commenting or staring at us. He didn’t want to cause embarrassment for us… he was afraid that we’d be treated differently because Robians once was under a evil rule and struck fear into everyone. Now that he’d been the only one left no one ever seemed to get over their fear of them and all ways cleared a path when he walked in a crowd and gave him uneasy glances. Husbands would pull their wives and children closer ready to defend anytime he walked by. He wasn’t treated as a guy who risked his life for thousands in a war, he was treated like a monster that was hated and shunned by everyone for just being alive…