Talking About Life and Getting Hope

I walked into the pizza place the smells trailing in my nose made me hungry.

"Oh excuse me sir, you must be Sonic." A woman dressed in the work uniform confronted me.

"Yes." I nodded confused at how she'd know.

"Follow me please, another gentleman request that we escort you to his table when you arrived." She said with a smile and began to lead me further into the building.

"Oh, great thanks!" I began to follow looking at the buffet of pizza's hungrily. We arrived in a dark room with a large wall projecting a movie while others sat around watching and eating together. She led me to a table in the back where Shadow sat  in the dim light.

After the waitress left I sat down across from him and watched his reaction. He was writing in a notepad with the phone up to his ear. His eyes drifted from his paper and lifted the corner of his mouth just a small second as he gave me acknowledgment.

I wonder who's on the phone. I tried to look over at his writing for a clue but the room was dim and not the best reading light, so I angled my ears to try and pick up the conversation. It was a woman's voice, possibly Rouge.

"I trust that you've got the information?" She asked.

"Yeah I got it." He said with a bored sigh.

"Alright then, over and out." She hung up after her good-bye. Shadow simply put the phone on the note pad and set it aside.

"Well glad to see you made it." He sat back in the booth.

"Of course!" I smiled and nodded.

"Want to get yourself something?" He asked nodding over to the buffet.

"Yes! I'm starving! The last thing I had was school lunch."

"We know how that holds you over." He grumbled.

"Well did you already eat? You didn't have anything."

"No I was waiting for you so we can go up together." He smiled softly stepping out from the booth and came over to my side holding out his hand. "Shall we?"

"Okay!" I smiled and got up quickly taking his hand. In the dark I felt myself blushing as he now hooked his arm with mine to keep me close and we followed in each other's steps. Finally back out on the floor where the buffet was he handed me a plate and let go of my arm looking out the variety of pizza.

"Go forth my love and feed.~" he whispered to me sarcastically and made his way over to the tables.

We met at the soda fountain getting our drinks and then came back to the table.

"Now what did you want again?" Shadow asked after his first pizza.

"After you passed out, you seemed to be having a night mare." I reminded.

He sipped from the straw from the soda and crossed his arms on the table,"Yeah, I suffer from night terrors I guess you could call them." He said.

"About something that happened to you?" I asked.

"It's hard to forget the things that happened to me..." He looked down.

"Will you tell me? Please?"

"Why? What good will it do? Are you planning to write a book about it or something?" He narrowed his eyes and raised his quills in defense. Gees so sensitive.

My ears went back and I slouched in my chair, he won't even give me a chance.

"S-sorry..." He said suddenly calm and sincere. "I get angry too quickly about this sort of stuff, I can't help it."