Chapter 1- A Windy Night

A/N: This is a story I wrote quite a while ago....

I just wanted to post it for Watty awards.................

For no reason.

E N J O Y !

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was alone to homecoming ALL years of my high school life. I know I’m cold hearted and I will reject anyone in the blink of an eye, but if you’re persistent, I’ll have to bend down to your will eventually. Or I’ll just say yes out of pure pity. But no guy did that over the past years, and therefore, no guy is worthy. I walked out onto my balcony to gaze at the twinkling stars. The wind was rather strong that night and my long black hair was being tossed around mercilessly. I’ve always enjoyed the dark, even if it brought back bad memories. The sky has always been home for me. Well, I’m still scared of heights.

“Hey,” I heard my older brother’s deep voice call me. I looked to my left and my brother smiled at me. He was 10 inches taller than I was, and he still looked the same from a distance. His long-ish blonde hair swayed with the wind in the same rhythm mine did. His blue eyes glowed under the moon’s light. “Do you have a date to prom yet?” My brother asked. “Well, I doubt you do, but I guess that’s partially my fault.” My brother laughed to himself. “There have been so many guys who have asked me to set them up with you. Naturally, I went on protective mode and was all ‘don’t you dare touch my sister.’” I burst out laughing, and he joined me. “It’s okay, I’m sure you’ll find someone. Those guys weren’t worth it. Especially if they don’t have the balls go and ask you like a man.” My brother and I would always talk to each other late at night on our balconies. He was the one I shared my secrets and problems with. I loved him even if he wasn’t my real brother.

Yeah, I was adopted, but I don’t really feel like thinking about my sob-story right now. Both my brother and I continued to stare at the stars. Being in each other’s presence was comfort enough. “I just want to say,” my brother broke the silence, “that there are millions of stars in the sky. The ‘fish in the sea’ saying is over used.”

“Well, Alex, that’s creative.” I laughed. “I don’t need millions of stars.”

“Oh, right. You set your sights on a star already. His name is,” Henry bit his lip, trying to remember his name. “Riccardo.” Not having heard the name in a long time arose memories within me. I sighed a deep sigh. “Did something happen between you guys? If something did, why don’t I know about it?” My brother gasped as if he was greatly offended. “Just kidding. You need your privacy too.” My brother shifted his gaze from me back to the stars.

“We kissed,” I muttered blissfully, my face turning red.

“Excuse me?” My brother stared at me in awe. He looked like he was about to jump off the balcony. “You did what? When?”

“Two years ago, at homecoming.” I answered. That night, it was kinda hot and kinda loud so I went up to the roof of the school for some alone time. I was just looking at the sky like I usually do when she touched me on my back. Riccardo and I have been friends for years, so I didn’t really mind. He told me that I always looked lonely and that he wanted to be there for me whenever I needed him. I knew Riccardo had a “player” side to him, but I fell into the trap anyways. He cupped my chin and pulled my face to his. My whole body refused to move or push him away because this was what I wanted. For a long time. It felt wrong in some ways, but I always denied it. When our lips finally met, my body filled with warmth. After the kiss, we danced on the rooftop to his singing. But after that incident, our once indestructible bond vanished as if it never existed. The music career I kept telling him to pursue, he finally began.

“Really?” My brother pursed his lips. “Okay, I approve, but as long as you’re happy.”

“Who asked for your opinion?” I laughed. My brother’s phone began to ring a happy tone. He told me goodnight and went back into his room. It was obviously Natalie, my brother’s girlfriend for the past four years. Natalie is a perfect match for my brother. I wouldn’t be surprised if they got married. They’re each other’s first love. Riccardo is mine. I don’t know if that’s the same for him. We first met in first grade when I kept calling his name girly. At first he was taking it like a man, but of course, he eventually got pissed off and pushed me on the ground. Unlike you’re usual first grade girl, I stood up immediately and growled “That wasn’t funny.” I punched him in the stomach to retaliate the pain he inflicted upon me. He was the one who ended up crying. That’s when our friendship began. When other kid would chase him, he would run behind me and yell “beat them up!”

During middle school, his looks really came out and I began to find him cute. Even if we didn’t have classes together, we would continue to hang out after school. In middle school, Riccardo became a man and began to save me instead of me having to save his sorry ass all the time. I guess I missed the old cowardly Riccardo because he didn’t use to hide things from me. Throughout middle school, his lies and secrets sunk deeper and deeper within him that I could no longer detect them. I began to hide things too, so I just assumed everything was because of human life. Or puberty.

I sighed and walked back into my room. Locking the balcony door, I cleared my mind so that I could sleep with ease. I pulled the covers over my body and went out like a light. And I dreamt of stars. Like I always do.