Chapter 9- Prom and Well... Things.

Last night was movie night, so we stayed up pretty late. Natalie stayed over, like she always does on movie nights. We were all sprawled out on the oh-so-comfortable sofa of ours. Gawain fell asleep sitting up. I managed to fall asleep on his lap. Alex and Natalie were on the other side of the couch cuddling awkwardly. Let’s just say that this was a terrible thing to do before prom.

            As every single one of us got up from the couch, the first words that came from our mouths were literally: “Oh, my back.” Otherwise, the morning was amazing. Gawain cooked a superb breakfast which wasn’t really breakfast any more since we woke up at about one. As usual. That was probably the only reason Alex didn’t mind keeping Gawain around. Natalie, who has never tasted Gawain’s cooking before, was stunned. Natalie brought her make-up and things over so that we could do each other’s make-up and things. If that made any sense. Since Gawain was wearing a dark blue button-up, everyone thought I should buy a dark blue dress so that we could be matching. Natalie thought it was super cute.

            After about an hour or so. That was a lie. I mean to say after about three hours or so, we finished preparing for the dance which was about two hours from now. So we just watched another movie.

~Prom Night~

            The music was ridiculously loud. And I hate loud things. That’s why I hate going to things like this. Gawain looked irritated too. He actually said something like “The fire in lights are so vulgar.” I had no idea what that meant but it didn’t matter. I spent a little time walking around and looking for some friends, just to say hi. Honestly, I was bored.

            Just then, Gawain took my hand. “I want to show you something.” He whispered into my ear. I nodded. I dragged me to the roof of the school and I just thought: Wow, does every guy I like have to bring me up here? I watched the lights of the city. The wind was actually quite strong. I then turned to Gawain who was in his “demon” form. I just assumed he was a demon since he never told me what he actually was. Suddenly, I went over the roof.

            “Gawain,” I screamed, falling down the side of the school. I shut my eyes. I had no idea how I fell or what pushed me.

            “Don’t worry,” I felt Gawain’s hands on my back, “I have you.” I opened my eyes. Gawain was flying pretty fast. I also noticed a creature just like Gawain flying alongside us. He looked familiar, but I couldn’t tell who it was since he was wearing a bird mask. Gawain and the Bird-man nodded at each other and flew after the shadowy figure in front of us.

            “Gawain, what’s happening?” I asked. Nothing around us was familiar.

            “Nothing,” Gawain smiled. “Nothing for you to worry about.”

            “Tell me.” No answer. “Gawain, please tell me.” I asked once more.

            “Gawain,” The Bird-man called. “There’s more. This one attracted more. We’re going to have to retreat. I don’t care how strong you and I are together, Angelica won’t be able to take it.” I listened to the voice of the Bird-man, but it didn’t sound familiar at all. I examined the Bird-man. He looked a little taller than Gawain, maybe just an inch. Though, he was more modern than Gawain. This man wore a tuxedo, which must be super uncomfortable to fight in. I noticed he had red eyes and flowing long red hair like Gawain’s. It seemed his choice of weapons were his black finger nails which were frighteningly long.

            “Where are we going to take her?” Gawain questioned the Bird-man. “She won’t ever be safe from now on.”

            “We can have watching shifts. You can watch her while she’s at home and whenever you’re with her. I’ll watch out for her whenever I can.” The Bird-man answered and Gawain nodded.

            “Gawain,” I whispered and he looked at me. “I’m scared.” For the first time, he didn’t laugh at what I say. Instead he muttered something under his breath. Something along the lines of: “Why did it have to be her of all the people on this earth?”

            “Can’t you say anything?” I asked, the tears welling in my eyes. I was hoping this was a way to make him tell me. He couldn’t see through my brilliant acting, surely he couldn’t. I let the tears fall. They rolled down my face and dropped onto the non-existent floor. It was soon raided by a pack of those shadow men which doubled in size after consuming my tears.

            “Do you really want to know that badly? Is your desire to know strong enough to make everything two times worse?” Gawain sounded irritated. “I don’t care what you do. I’m not telling you.”

            “Fine.” I growled. “Let go of me.” I bit Gawain’s shoulder, drawing a little bit of blood.

            “Angelica, don’t be difficult!” Gawain yelled at me. “I don’t want to lose you! Please just stop!” Gawain looked very pained that I would argue with him like that. “You could use your life, please stop.” Gawain said again, but this time much kinder. He made me feel so guilty.

            “I’m sorry.” I whimpered.

            Gawain sighed, “I forgive you.” He laughed again. “It’s too late anyway. They’re probably feeding on my blood which has your saliva in it.” I looked at where I bit him. His whole shoulder was bleeding heavily. I couldn’t believe I did that to him! “If you’re wondering how a small cut began to bleed like that, it’s because of your saliva. Your saliva prevents my blood from clotting. It can also turn my blood into poison which would slowly kill me from the inside.” Gawain laughed again.

            “Gawain,” I said. “I’m so sorry.” I pulled his face close to mine and pecked him on the lips.

            “You’ll have to do better than that.” He pulled me in closer kissed me again. I felt his fire wings get hotter. They were already blue fire, which was the hottest fire. “You’re so evil, you know that? How dare you kiss me back to make everything worst?” Gawain laughed. “Your heightened emotions just summon some more evil people.”

            “Gawain, get yourself out of here! There’s too many!” The Bird-man yelled. “I’ll be the decoy.”

            “Don’t kill yourself!” Gawain yelled back.

            “Are you kidding me? I haven’t released my true form in years! I’m going to have the time of my life.” The Bird-man yelled. “Angelica, I’ll see you in school.” School? School.

            “Riccardo, don’t!” I yelled to the Bird-man. I felt the air warp as I watched Riccardo rip off his bird mask. The fire then engulfed him and I was back on earth.

            Riccardo’s one of them. I should have known.