Chapter 17- Missing

Gawain's POV

            Her voice rang in my ears. I wanted to believe that she was safe, maybe she was just frustrated with me and yelled my name in fury. I knew it was something else. Riccardo left already and Jack lay sprawled out on the couch. That’s when I heard it. I checked the time, 8:02 pm. I leaped off the couch and Jack followed. The two of us have been waiting for Angelica’s return to apologize for this morning. At least Jack had a conscience. Jack and I ran through houses and anything else in our way. We found a lake outside of town. By the lake was Angelica’s car.

            Jack and I rushed to the car. The windows were broken and Angelica’s blanket lay on the street, soaking wet. It can’t be… the rogues are already here. I picked up her blanket. It didn’t smell like her. There was no scent or trace of her left. She wasn’t in this dimension anymore.

            I folded her blanket and placed it in her car. “I’m going to save you.” I whispered to the blanket. I closed the car door and changed to my true form. “Jack, let’s go.”

~Angelica~

            Gawain. Gawain. Gawain. His name and face flashed through my mind. I was cold. I was empty. I felt all my energy draining from my body. The tears I cried dried on my face. I laid on the cold floor of who knows where. My throat was dry and I couldn’t make a noise. Then I heard the clicking of boots nearby. I moved my head a little so that I could get a glimpse of what was coming. A tall man approached me. He looked a whole lot like Riccardo from afar, but when he approached me. I realized… that it was a woman.

            “How interesting.” The woman said, her voice resonating. “What an important child.” Her cold finger touched my forehead. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to hurt you. I just wanted to see your saviors.”

~Gawain~

            “Do you even know where you’re going?” Jack asked, irritated that it seemed like we were getting nowhere. But then again, we were walking through black space. There was literally nothing here.

            “Um, who has the light-line here? I don’t exactly know where she is, but the light follows her.” I clarified for him. “The light-line is like a line. Or well, to be more precise, a string. It’s really helpful once you get one.”

            “Gawain,” I heard a woman call my name and I know exactly who it is.

            “Just as I expected.” I answered her. “Do you still think I am going to join your side?” I growled. I glared at her with my black eyes. “I would never betray Riccardo for your piece of trash organization. None of us should need to depend on an army of rogues.”

            “I knew you would say that.” The woman laughed. “It shouldn’t matter what side you’re on when we’re after the same thing.” The woman clasped her hands together.

            “We are not after the same thing. You are after extermination, we are after The Purge.” I growled. Then the woman pushed out a chair and Angelica was tied to it. Angelica looked terrible. She was shivering and blood was running down the right side of her head. I took a step forward.

            “Now, are you on our side or not?” The woman asked placing a knife near Angelica’s neck. “It’s won’t matter what side you’re on if I kill her.” Angelica was soaking wet and the air is freezing. She won’t need a knife to kill Angelica. I have to hurry. I shot a glance at Jack, who was closer to Angelica than I was. He has to grab her when the woman was off guard. He nodded. Seems we had the same idea.

            “Why are you trying to persuade me?” I asked. I know I’m not the leader of our group. I have no authority. “Riccardo is the one you should be persuading.”

            “You know how that child is. He is very strong willed.” The woman grumbled. “You, I know you’re important to him. If you switch sides, I will be able to bend him.” The woman dropped the hand holding the knife to her side. I looked at Jack. Now, my brain screamed. Jack ran for the chair and dragged it away, successfully dodging every swing of the knife. While the woman was distracted, I unsheathed my sword and swung at the woman’s arm, slicing it clean of her body.

            “That’ll teach you not to mess with us.” I began to walk away as she cried in agony. “Team Regeneration now has you on their death list.”

            “Wait!” I turned my head slightly so that I could see the woman. “You’re not what you think you are either! Riccardo gave you a chance because you were different!” I turned away and began to walk again. “Tell the Fire King I said hello.” She snickered. “That rat doesn’t deserve that title.”

            I turned around, ablaze. “Don’t you dare mock Riccardo like that.” I stuck my hand in my pocket and clutched an American penny. I set it ablaze and threw it at the woman. The penny went straight through her head. Her body collapsed and began to disintegrate. I turned and faced the darkness ahead, quickening the pace of my walk as the rogues began to eat their leader’s dead body.

            I don’t care why Riccardo brought me life. All that matters is that I serve him and I own him my life. I stepped through the wormhole and appeared back in Angelica’s room as if nothing had happened.