Chapter 3- Naked Men

I chopped the vegetables furiously, imagining that each vegetable is Riccardo. Ungrateful child. I did everything for him.  The rain grew stronger outside and the thunder shook the house. I tossed the vegetables into the pan. Through the sizzling and thunder, I heard aggressive banging on the door. I turned down the fire on the stove and went to answer the door. Being the stupid person I am, I opened the door without looking who it was and an unfamiliar body collapsed on me, pinning me to the ground. Naturally, I screamed, but there was no one to help me. Alex was out doing the groceries with Natalie. I pushed the body off me and closed the door. It was a man with white hair that was entirely naked. My eyes totally just lost their virginity.

            I dragged his body to the living room. There were a whole bunch of bruises and small cuts. I’m guessing he was mobbed. So his clothes we’re stolen? I grabbed the nearest blanket and threw it over him. Crap, I don’t have any clothing to give to him. “Wait right here, don’t you dare move.” I told the man. I grabbed my keys and ran out the door. There was only one person that could help me now. I ran to Riccardo’s house as fast as I could. The rain only grew harder, drenching my entire body. I banged on Riccardo’s door. Like me, he doesn’t look who’s at the door. He opened the door and covered his eyes immediately. Then I realized I was wearing a really thin white shirt.

            “Oh, sorry about that.” I blushed. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me inside his house. “Um, do you happen to have unused underwear?”

            “Excuse me?” He asked. “I think I do, but we have to do something about you first.” He took off his navy blue shirt and put it over my head. He laughed at my awkwardness and I noticed his toned abs. I can’t say that they were really “abs,” but they were definitely something. We went up to his room and there were pictures of the two of us everywhere. “Let’s see…” Riccardo mumbled, “Where did I put them?” He got a pack of under wear out of his dresser and pulled a black one out. “Here,” he tossed them to me.

            “Thanks,” I smiled. “Can I borrow your cell phone? I need to call my brother.” He gave me his iPhone. I typed in my birthday for the password. We promised to each other that we would make our passwords each other’s birthday when we got cell phones. I’m glad he kept that promise. I dialed my brother’s number and he picked up immediately.

            “Do you want to apologize to my sister?” Alex said sternly.

            “Uh, Alex, it’s me. Can you buy a pack of men’s underwear?” I asked awkwardly.

            “What size?” My brother sighed. “Wait why?”

            “Long story, you’ll see when you get home.” I sighed. “Riccardo what size are you?”

            “My waist size is 36” so I guess… large?” Riccardo scratched his head. “I’m not really sure.” He laid down on his bed, not bothering to put another shirt on.

            “Alex, it needs to be large.” I said.

            “So you made up with jerk-face already?” Alex laughed. “Okay, I’ll see you at home.” I ended the call and handed the cell phone back to its owner.

            “I think I’d better get back home.” Riccardo walked me to the front door. “Um, about yesterday…”

            “Don’t ask.” He said quickly. “It’s not your fault. Nothing ever was. Besides, I,” Riccardo pulled me into a really tight hug. “I really missed you.”

            “You know, I missed you too, turd-face.” I sighed and hugged him back.

            “Hey, I don’t think my face is that ‘turdy.’ It’s the same face it’s been for the past five years.” Riccardo laughed. We said our farewells and I ran through the rain once more. While I was running, I remembered something important. I left the stove on. With an unconscious man. Crap. I ran through the doors and, mysteriously, the stove was off. And the man was still unconscious.

            “I don’t know what happened to you, but I’m glad you’re okay.” I sighed. “Brace yourself.” I pulled the blanket off with a swift motion.

            “Wait!” The white-haired man yanked the blanket back to cover himself. “Give me the undergarments. I can put them on myself. Just close your eyes.” I simply complied with his request because it’s not like I wanted to put his underwear on him anyway. “Ok, you can look now.” He sighed and dumped himself on the couch. “My name is Gawain, just so you know, Angelica.”

             “How do you know my name?” I asked, feeling uncomfortable.

            “I read it on your apron when I turned off the stove. I woke up to the smell of burning vegetables, which was unbelievably disgusting. I can’t believe you left the stove on and unattended, how carless.” He shook his head. “You also ran about outside in the rain and didn’t change clothes, so I would imagine you have a fever by now.” And he was right. Riccardo’s shirt only got wet on the way back, which made it even worst. “I suggest you change clothes before it gets any worse.” I ran upstairs and changed into a warm pair of sweats. I grabbed one of Alex’s old tee-shirts and shorts on the way down. I found Gawain gracefully sleeping on the couch. And my heart fluttered for the first time. In a very long time.