Chapter 10- Shattered Pieces

The clouds passed through the sky, staining the ground with darkness. I stared out the window just wondering how much more secrets I had to uncover for me to see who Riccardo really is. A black shape entered my view of the front yard. Riccardo. How in the world did I not realize that he was different? Riccardo didn’t look any different. He didn’t sound different. He didn’t look anything but human. He wore his black combat boots and jeans. His regular attire. The black leather jacket he usually wore was slung over his left shoulder revealing the navy blue shirt he wore underneath. The strong wind pushed the slightly baggy shirt onto his fit abdomen, perfectly outlining the shape. He was fit and he didn’t need to do anything to keep it. His hair is… black? He walked with long strides, his head held up high, and his posture perfect. He looked powerful. He looked… not my type… but good.

            He neared the door and I rushed downstairs. The doorbell rang and I was quick to open it. He smiled his boyish smile, “Hi.”

            “Hi,” I smiled in return. “So, did you dye your hair?”

            “Oh, well, I don’t have to dye it. Remember?” Right. He’s not human. “But yeah, I changed it.” Silence.

            “Um, quick question.” I shuffled my brain for something completely random. Just to break the silence. “If you and Gawain know each other, why do you act like you don’t?” I asked, truly curious as to what the answer is. Their bickering really irritated me.

            “Oh, it’s just more fun that way.” Riccardo chuckled. “He never wins anyway.” He looked me into the eyes. His eyes remained red from last night. Seems that he forgot to change it back to brown. A human eye color. Although, they still felt genuine and kind. I quickly averted my eyes to the floor. “Are you okay?” Riccardo asked, gently touching my shoulder. “If you’re wondering how it was possible for me to defeat all those dark creatures on my own, then there is no answer.” Riccardo dropped his hand to his side and shook his head. “Let me just tell you, that every living creature is a pawn of a higher being. I am merely a pawn in this game. Find your place and all the things you need to know will unravel.” He bowed his head towards me and turned to leave.

I grabbed his arm and hugged him. “I’m glad you’re okay.” He wrapped his arms around me and hugged back.

“I know it’s very worrisome. Is Gawain home? I need to speak with him.”  Riccardo released me.

“Yeah, he’s probably in the kitchen.” I smiled and he nodded. We walked to where Gawain was. We found him drinking a cup of tea, his legs extended on another chair, his guitar on the table.

“Riccardo.” Gawain said, sounding unhappy to see him.

“You can dropped the act, Gawain.” Riccardo laughed.

“Oh thank god, I was getting tired of pretending to hate you.” Gawain sighed.

“The end is coming, you know that right? The end of many, many things are coming.” Riccardo sighed. “We’re going to have to meet up sometime. My light-line is crumbling fast. I can’t do anything to stop it. I’m not sure how much is left, but I know what’s coming. We can only prepare. With great power, great responsibility comes.” Riccardo is always so philosophical. Almost to the point that it’s irritating. But the end, I had no idea what that meant. Gawain just nodded, not helping me at all.

I sat on Gawain’s extended legs. He looked at me, but didn’t wince. I guess I wasn’t that heavy. He touched my arm and gestured to his lap. I was happy to oblige. I moved over to his lap. He wrapped his arms around me. Riccardo looked like he was going to throw up and left.

“I suppose you’re confused.” Gawain whispered in my ear after Riccardo shut the front door. I nodded in response. “There’s nothing to worry about.” I sighed about to ask what it all meant. “We don’t mean to keep you in the dark forever.” Gawain smiled, kissing my ear. “It’s just not time yet. The more you know, the less time we have.” I finally relaxed my body. I intertwined my fingers with his. His dark hair smelled like my shampoo, as usual. His body was exceptionally warm, as usual. Everything feels… familiar. I love moments like this. It feels like time just stopped. I love the way our hands fit perfectly together. I love how he always seizes the opportunity to be with me. Everything about him is perfect. I have a feeling that it will be short lived, so I have to spend as much time in this perfect world. Before it shatters.