Chapter 14- Alien Animals?

What a nightmare. I watched Riccardo cough blood onto my floor. I also watched him set himself on fire. How cruel could life be? I turned him into a dog! Through a kiss! Do I have magical powers or something? I watched Riccardo's chest heave as each breath entered and left him. He slept next to Gawain on the floor. The moonlight shined on him from the balcony door. He's definitely not coming to school tomorrow. Though, neither am I. I'm far too exhausted to go anywhere now.

How ironic. Riccardo turned into a dog... dogs are man's best friends, right? I slowly get up from my bed and tiptoe around Gawain, but he turns to face me. There's no point in tiptoeing if the guy's awake.

"Do you even sleep?" I kicked Gawain in the stomach. I heard a cough from Riccardo, which was probably a laugh. "Are you like... a vampire?  Can't you guys tell me what you guys are?" I sighed.

Gawain looked perplexed.  "I can't exactly explain what Riccardo and I are." Gawain paused. "Though, I can say that Riccardo is in a completely different league than I am. He's much stronger than I am." Gawain said. Really? It doesn't seem like Riccardo is stronger than Gawain. "Although," Gawain begun again. "Lately, he's been getting weaker. You'll know what I mean soon. Unlike myself, after death, Riccardo turns into something else. I have 'returning to dust' waiting for me." Gawain sounded like he was complaining. "It’s like he has three extra-long lives."

I nodded while stretching out my hand to pet Riccardo. He looked at me with those deep red eyes. I knew he was hurting. I saw the fire burn in his eyes. Why does Gawain want me to fall in love with Riccardo? The thought lingered in my head. Riccardo doesn’t seem to want me to be with him. I look back to Gawain, his hair glistening under the moonlight. I turned back to Riccardo who sat with crossed arms, staring at me with those deep brown human eyes.

“It seems it’s time to lecture you.” Riccardo said. His voice was firm. I don’t know when he became so formal. I guess he always was, I just never noticed. “As you probably know, the universe is always expanding.” Riccardo paused, thinking about how to lecture me without revealing what he is. “Well, there’s always room for new things. And those new things… are humans.” He opened his palm. Gawain put his hand over Riccardo’s, telling Riccardo to let him do whatever it is they were doing. Riccardo just shook his head at Gawain and Gawain’s hand retreated.

A little red fire ignited in the palm of Riccardo’s left hand. The fire slowly became a net. It formed the Milky Way Galaxy then our solar system. “Do you see how little yet corrupt your race is?” I remembered the projection of the Milky Way galaxy. Earth was microscopic compared to it. “We all thought humans would be a failure, but they strived. Slowly, their greed for knowledge began to worry us outsiders.” Riccardo’s eyes looked at me with an intensity I have never experienced before. “Then a group of important outsiders made a vote on whether the eradication of humans should proceed or not. All voted for the eradication except one. The over-seer of the humans.” Riccardo then shook his head with disappointment. “The leader made a terrible choice. Those who are sector-less are more powerful than those in a sector. We’ll call those who don’t have a sector rogues.” Riccardo looked pale from the overexertion.

I closed his hand and the projection flashed off. “I’ve heard all that I’ve needed to.” I sighed. “You guys are here to get rid of the humans. I understand.” The human race’s lust for power is growing. Riccardo would always tell me ‘knowledge is power.’ Now I understand what he really meant. “I’m assuming I’m not exactly human either, am I?”

“Oh, you’re definitely human.” Gawain said. I looked at him wondering how he knew. “If you depend on oxygen, you’re human. Riccardo and I don’t need to breathe.” He widened his eyes as if he just revealed what they were.