What inspired you to make the horcruxes? And why did you make them?

Pottermore26 asked: "What inspired you to make the horcruxes? And why did you make them?"
~•~•~•~•~
*owl arrives at your window*

Dear Pottermore26,
I first came upon the term horcrux when I was reading a book called Magick Moste Evile. The idea of a horcrux fascinated me, but the book did not provide me as much information that I needed. I asked my Potions professor, an oblivious but, I admit, a rather intelligent man named Horace Slughorn. I am quite a favorite of his, so it was no surprise that he told me everything I needed to know.

As for your second question, I made these horcruxes to ensure that I live forever to restore the legacy of the great Salazar Slytherin among a world that has become so accepting of muggles to taint the blood of the true wizards and witches that were our ancestors.
Honestly, I am afraid of death.
When I am dead, I am powerless.
When I am dead, I will lose everything.
Everything that I have worked so hard on and everything I achieved will be all for naught.

If you are interested in making horcruxes of your own, I suggest you read Magick Moste Evile for a basic understanding of it, available in the Hogwarts Restricted Section.

Sincerely Yours,
Tom Marvolo Riddle

Sincerely Yours,Tom Marvolo Riddle