Dad?

_Isabella_

The final bell of the day rings dismissing us from 5th hour. I slowly make my way out of the class room waving goodbye to my physics teacher, Mr. Smith.

I take my phone out of my pocket and see that my mom had texted me during class.

From: Mom
Sorry sweatheart, I know we were supposed to go out for lunch after school but something came up. I won't be able to pick you up, love you

I sigh and push open the door to leave, pushing my way past the mass of teenagers blocking my path. As I stepped outside, I pushed the sleeves of my hoodie up to the elbow. I only wore it because some of the classrooms were insanely cold.

I walk past the line up of school busses and out of the parking lot.

Good thing my house wasn't very far from school.

"Izzy!" A voice shouted from the side entrance of the school. The school has several entrances and I came out of a set of doors towards the back of the school since they were closer to my class.

"What's up man?" I asked my friend Oliver.

"You walkin today?" He asked and I nodded.

"I'll keep you company." He suggested and I shook my head.

"Your house is the complete opposite direction than mine and you have to catch the bus." I reminded him.

"I didn't want you walking alone through your neighborhood."

"I'm a big girl, I'll make sure to text you when I get home and if I get kidnapped I'll have them drop me at your place after they're annoyed with me." I joked and Oliver chuckled.

"Now shoo, go get on the bus." I ordered him and gave him a slight push.

"Fine mom, don't forget to text me." He reminded me as he walked back to where I came from.

I shake my head with a chuckle before putting my head phones in and hooking them up to my phone before blasting The Amity Affliction station on IHeartRadio.

I make my way out of the school parking lot, shooting my mom a quick text saying I'm on my way home.

"Well don't lean on me 'cause I am falling, please don't fall with me.
I really need you here, yeah I need you so don't leave.
And don't count on me 'cause I am drowning, please don't drown with me.
Just hold me in your heart, let the ocean take me."

I tap my fingers on my leg to the beat until I had to take my headphones out to cross the road.

I always did this seeing as this is a busy road, especially after school let's out with all the juniors and seniors driving. They drive like idiots.

I wait until I have a clear path before speed walking my way across. Once I was across I popped my earbuds back in.

When I turned down my street, I waved to the nice elderly couple that lived at the end house. They had the most beautiful garden every year.

A few houses down on the opposite side of the road, I saw a young boy and his dad playing catch with a football.

This got me down. I've never met my dad. My mom says that he's a deadbeat that left 15 years ago, the day after I was born.

I really didn't want that to be true but that's the story I've heard everytime I've asked where my father is.

As I neared my house, I notice an unfamiliar car parked directly in front of the house at the curb.