16.

717

-

"Dan honey, what's wrong?" His mum questioned, standing by his bed worriedly. He's been in bed for three days, and his mum had tried her best to make him feel better, bringing him soup, ice cream, but he was having none of it. She wasn't one to pry, she was just trying her best to cheer Dan up, but it was getting out of hand at this point.

"Nothing, mum, I just feel ill." He replied, shooing her away. It'd be better for him to talk it out at this point, but surely his mum wouldn't understand? He clenched his eyes shut, he was sure his mum was giving him puppy dog eyes. To be honest, even if he did want to talk about it, he wouldn't know what to say.

"Daniel, if this is about that Phil boy, he wasn't any good anyway." She proclaimed, putting her hand on his shoulder as he sighed. There was no denying that she was completely right, and definitely now.

"He was, at first. I don't know what happened, though." He spoke, the words etched in grief. He solemnly looked over at his mum, his body language screaming for her to just leave him alone.

"If you really like him that much, why don't you call him? Surely he'll pick up." She smiled at him sympathetically, sitting on the edge of his bed. Dan usually told her everything, and it was certainly worrying that he was biting his tongue all of a sudden. He looked utterly miserable, legs drawn to his chest, once brown eyes smothered in glassy tears and bloodshot veins.

Dan shook his head slowly, greasy brown hair flopping as he did so, giving a half smile to his mum. "I don't think so. He seemed pissed last time we talked, I should give him some time." He proclaimed, his words faltering as he spoke and his voice noticeably cracking.

-

It hurt, a lot. Forgetting Phil was something Dan was completely incapable of, and the pain in his chest felt worse and worse by the day. He'd flushed his razors a day after the incident, and he just sat in his bed while he wallowed in self-pity. His mum had given up on trying to talk about his feelings, just bringing soup up to him and making sure he was alright. Dan could tell she had no clue what to do, and really Dan had no clue either.

Three knocks at his door startled him. He rolled his eyes,

"Mum, you were just in here, I don't need anything."

"I'm not your mum."

Dan could've sword his eyes popped out of his head, because why would Phil be here? Surely he would just yell at Dan more, and frankly Dan was a bit pissed at Phil as well.

"What do you want?"

There was a pause, and Dan could hear shifting behind the door.

"I brought donuts?"

"Come in."

The door opened, and there was Phil, as glorious as ever. He seemed worried, looking at Dan with upmost concern. Dan reached his hand out for the donuts, licking his lips as he did so.

"I'm sorry." There was a lot of emotion behind the words, but yet none at all. Dan could accept his apology, and risk something happening again, or he could talk this out with Phil to see what's going on. He chose the latter.

Phil had those eyes again, those eyes that could make you do anything. Pleading and beautiful, begging for forgiveness. Dan looked away.

"For what?" Dan replied, the words slipping off his tongue in a mix of anger and confusion. It was irritating, how Phil could control him like this. How somehow, Dan felt guilty, when he hadn't done anything wrong.

"I'm sorry for what happened. I was so angry- and it wasn't even at you. Jenna and I, we got in a fight, and I took it all out on you. It was so wrong, and I don't think you're a slut, or that you were trying to get with me, I'm so sorry." He went on, biting his lip between sentences when he had to think about what the right words were, how to not mess up again.

"I-I guess.. we could maybe g-give this another shot."