Chapter 1- Chill

Alan McMichael arrives in the village in a snowstorm carrying only a small bag and his father's pistol. He enters the post seeking a horse, his jacket inadequate against the harsh wind and pelting snow.

"Allerdale Hall? Mister, you'd be better to stay here and ride out the storm. Nobody's going to take you up there in this weather."

"Then I'll walk, but the new Lady Sharpe is in grave danger and I cannot stand idly by. I think they mean to kill her"

The postmaster, also the liveryman stares at him, "They were here not long ago. She seemed happy. And he seemed enamoured by her- had the look of new lovers, still."

"That may be, but there's something foul afoot and you can be damned if I will sit here and allow them to harm that girl. If no one will help, I'll walk."

"Wait a moment. I'll call the boys." A young woman, long hair in a braid, her dress neat but worn, comes from behind the counter; Alan had not seen her there. She does not speak, but hands the postmaster a note. He nods, "Get Crawford and Doyle, Thane, Rook, and Sampson. Tell them to arm up to ride out- Sharpe's have gone nutters, just like we thought. And have your father ready some cells."

She nods and puts on her coat and heavy boots before heading out into the storm.

"When do we leave?"

"As soon as the men with the guns get here. What's your name, son?"

"Dr Alan McMichael."

The postmaster extends his hand, "Gerald Kittering. How do you figure the Sharpe's are going to harm the girl?"

"They've already made his first wife disappear. A Miss Pamela Upton. He hands an envelope to Gerald.

He leafs through, "This is mighty suspicious."

Two burly young men enter with rifles, "Doyle, Sampson, and Rook are on their way. Lizzie said we've probably got a rescue on our hands."

Gerald passes them the envelope, "Looks like."

A tall, slender man with pistols strapped under his coat enters and tips his hat, "Heyo, Gerry. Ezra, Nate. Ready to rescue in a word. And who is this?"

"Dr Alan McMichael."

"Aye, Dr McMichael. Thaddeus Doyle, at your service." He gives a stage bow, "Good to meet you, would be better under different circumstances. But seeing as it's not, let's get to work, eh boys?"

"We're waiting on Malachi and Roger."

"Ah, yes. Likely at the pub at this time of night. I hope Lizzie finds them in a helpful state."

"She did, as she normally would," a voice booms from the door, "Evening, all."

"Evening, Mal," Thaddeus replies.

"Everyone present?" asks the other man, small compared to his companion, but wound like a spring.

"Aye, Rog, it is. Let's ride out then, shall we?"

Alan is given a horse and they ride out into the storm.

The moment Edith catches them in bed, Thomas knows everything is about to go terribly wrong. Lucille is livid, violent, and utterly terrifying when she dashes after Edith. He does not want another death on his hands, but it is clear there will be if he cannot stop her. Just as Lucille catches Edith, the door slams open.

"Sorry to drop in without notice-" he stops, his well planned excuse useless on his lips as he watches Lucille, obviously trying to throw Edith over the ledge. He draws his pistol and aims, "Am I interrupting something?"