Chapter 16- Another Parting

The letters continue to come and Thomas responds as quickly as possible. They are usually short, but it keeps him busy. Rebecca writes to describe the plants she has stared in her spare rooms, her entire house smelling of herbs and baking. Thaddeus talks about the weather, the snow drifts, and the lovely way the ice glints in the churchyard. Mr York writes reassuring things, telling him that there is a place waiting in his house if the Crown grants mercy.

Lizzie keeps her visits short. She always comes with Nathaniel. They do not speak much, but she asks how he is, has he been eating, and if he is staying warm. She asks Gerry if she can bring him soup when she makes it for Mr Hayes with permission of the jailer. So every week, at least on Wednesdays, and often on Fridays and Sundays as well, she commandeers a tea cart from the Hayes house and brings five bowls of steaming soup down to the prison- two for the guards, one for Thomas, and one each for she and Nathaniel. It is good soup.

And then Lizzie is called back home, for there are a few people in the jail and her father needs her hands. She packs her bags and she and Nathaniel are ready to leave after one final visit to the prison.

She arrives to find Thomas mulling on a series of pages and settles beside him, "Hello, Lizzie."

She playfully salutes him.

"You are in good spirits today."

She taps the pages.

"From Edith's solicitor. The divorce is final. These are proof and explanations of the American laws governing it. Copies for my own solicitor. She is free now. Perhaps she will marry the doctor, or go on to write her novel and become famous in America for her words."

Lizzie opens her notebook, "Father has called for me to come home- there are enough people in the jail that he needs my hands. Carlisle has been good to us, and I have been grateful to be here for you, but I have to leave. I will write, though, and I hope you will call for help if you need it, instead of taking matters into your own hands."

"I know. I will."

"Mr Hayes has said his doors are always open to us and that he likes having us there. So that is wonderful to know. But we also must take care of home. And I will do the best I can to take care of you from this distance. And he will tell us when the date is set so that we may come to comfort you."

"Don't come, Lizzie. If your father wishes to, then yes, but please. I don't want you to see a hanging. My hanging."

"I know. But I also do not want you to feel alone."

He takes both her hands, "You are a forgiving and kind young woman. Please, give me this one grace? That you will not have to see this death?"

She sighs and nods.

"Thank you."

Nathaniel clears his throat, "Sorry to break up your moment, but Mr Hayes' boy doesn't want to be waiting long. We'll see you later, Thomas. And hopefully there will be good news by then."

"Yes. We can hope." Thomas thinks that his hope will be for a quick death but he knows this is not what Nathaniel means. Lizzie squeezes his hands and stands. He keeps one of hers and brings it to his lips, "Goodbye, Lizzie. Nathaniel. Until we meet again."

She leaves quickly and Nathaniel follows. It isn't until they are on the road that they talk.

"Lizzie...you're in too deep."

She punches his arm and rolls her eyes.

"I know, no shit. But you are. And you need to remember that he's likely going to be hanged."

She sighs and reaches for the notebook.

"No, you don't need to reply. You've got to follow your heart and all that. Just remember that it's going to hurt all that much more when it happens." His voice softens, "And don't think it means nothing to me, too. I never knew family. At least, not any more than what Helga and your father could give me and what Ez did for me. It was something to find out who my father was, and that I had a brother. I should have gone out to the house then, shouldn't I? Maybe I could have stopped some of this, given him an out..."

Lizzie shakes her head and mimes pouring something into a cup and sipping it.

"Or she could have just poisoned me, too. You're right. It wouldn't have been rosy. She wouldn't have liked the competition."

She pats his shoulder.

"You're a good sister, Liz. Always have been, even when I didn't know you were. I hope for a miracle in all this, for your sake. And for mine, ,too. I've always wanted a real brother."