Chapter 31- Bright Spring Day

A/N:  This chapter contains some explicit material.

***

A few days later, on a bright, warm Monday, her dress is finished. Excited, she sends for Rebecca and Nathaniel, handing them each a note they read together.

"Send for the priest- we've got a wedding to have- let us ride today!"

Nathaniel laughs and grabs her around the waist, lifting her and spinning her around, "Lizzie, my dear, it sounds like a fine day for a wedding! Is Thomas ready?"

He walks in from the yard, "Am I ready for what? I've been working on the steam engines all morning."

"Your lovely bride-to-be says we're riding for Carlisle today."

Thomas drops the towel on which he was drying his hands and runs to Lizzie, grinning. He scoops her up and swings her in a circle as she giggles, lowering her into a kiss.

"I take it that's a yes. We'd better send for Brother Mort, Rebecca."

"I know where he is. We'll get him on the way."

They ride for Carlisle starting mid-day. They ride all day, the open carriage full of laughter and jokes, a picnic supper eaten on the road. Once they arrive in Carlisle very late at night, Mr Hayes greets them and leads them to a hotel he knows is both very nice and has open rooms. Early the next morning, Thomas goes with Nathaniel to fit his suit and returns to the hotel with it in a large box. Then he takes Lizzie out for her ring. He has her close her eyes while the jeweller fits it. She giggles, giddy, biting her lip in anticipation of the surprise. It fits beautifully and they leave the shop with a box.

That afternoon at 3pm, Nathaniel and Thomas dress and leave their hotel early to meet Brother Morton at the church. Rebecca dresses Lizzie, pinning up her hair with marcasite and pearls, a few curls left to frame her face, the comb of her veil slipped into her braided crown. The dress fits her perfectly, the velvet front panel extending from the floor to the centre pane of the bodice, splitting to frame the wide neckline. that stretches just over the outermost edge of her shoulders. She has beaded the front with stars, metal beads and marcasite, silver thread creating delicate bursts from each little pinpoint of light. The delicate white lace made by her aunt drapes off her arms, around her waist, and at her hem. Blue silk trails behind her. Rebecca lays the necklace against her chest and clasps it in the back while Lizzie slips in the earrings and fastens the bracelet. She tugs on short lace fingerless gloves. Rebecca, in her long black dress, flowers in her hair, hands her the bouquet and her blue notebook. Lizzie slips on her silk shoes, drapes her mother's shawl on her shoulders, and picks up the train of her dress. She stands in front of the long mirror and stares at herself.

Rebecca stands beside her, her smile as broad as it can be, "My darling Lizzie...you are a beautiful woman. I'm so incredibly proud to have watched you grow up."

"I wish Father was here."

"He's watching you from the great afar, girl, you can bet your last ha'penny. Now. Your soon to be husband's waiting at the church. Shall we join him?"

Lizzie nods, takes a deep breath, and steps out the door. It isn't a long walk, but it she is nervous and her grand gown attracts attention as Rebecca keeps her moving down the street.

Nathaniel greets them at the church door, "My god, Liz. You're stunning." He kisses her cheek. "Come on. Thomas' waiting behind the door on the left. You're going to come in on the right. Just like we talked about. Meet at the centre aisle after Rebecca and I call for you. We'll take our places, give you two time to stare at each other. Then come on down to the Brother and we'll get you married." She nods, nervous, and he walks her to her door while Rebecca goes to talk to Thomas. Nathaniel rests his hands on her shoulders, "I'm incredibly proud of you, Liz. For giving him a chance from the start. For believing his story when others weren't so gracious. And for standing by him through everything. You're the strongest woman I know. I'm so blessed to be your brother." He kisses her forehead and steps through the door.