Chapter 26- Friends and Relations

The months to Christmas pass quickly, but Lizzie's grief burrows deep and pulls her under with it. She tries to maintain the jail, but Thomas finds himself doing most of the daily work while Lizzie manages to cook for the prisoners. He works closely with Calum, learning his strengths and weaknesses, handing him more tasks every day. He is impressed with the young man's management skills. He does not think it will take years for him to take on the work all on his own.

Lizzie doesn't attend the Christmas Eve party with the Doyle's, nor does she hold a gathering on Christmas. She spends the day in bed, curled up with one of her father's sweaters. Thomas tends to her and urges her to eat, but she refuses.

The day of her father's memorial, she returns to his house and watches as Helga greets guests. There are more than they anticipated and soon Malachi suggests they move to the church. Richard, Thaddeus, Rebecca, and Nathaniel help carry food from the house and soon they are set up again. But her father's friends keep coming and the church seating isn't comfortable, the room a bit chilly. Pillows and blankets appear from various households in the village and soon the room is far more cozy.

They they mingle and then they stand at the pulpit and share stories of Mr York's care for each and every one of them. His generosity and kindness are clear. He was a much-loved man, even by many of his former prisoners.

Thomas tries to stay close to Lizzie. She is gracious and warm to those who come to her to tell her little details of how her father changed their lives, but he can also see she is weary and sad. He wishes he could spirit her away to a quiet corner but does not know if that is acceptable at her own father's memorial.

There is a face in the crowd, though, that Thomas does not expect and his presence is so starting that Thomas excuses himself to go meet this unanticipated guest.

"Mr Angel?"

The old man turns, "There's few living who know to call me that name."

"Sir, I apologize if it's the wrong one. I don't know another. Do you remember me?"

"Thomas Sharpe, age 32. Yes, I remember you. How are you faring?"

"Well, thank you."

"Do you have a family? A home? A few creature comforts?"

"Yes, sir. I've been with Miss Lizzie York for years. She and I have a cottage. It is a home I am quite proud to have built for her."

"Miss? She's not your wife?"

"No, sir. Given my history, we haven't been married."

"Interesting."

"Might I ask you a question?"

Mr Angel nods, "Of course."

"How did you come to know Mr York?"

"We were all village jailers- some newer to it than others. I think there were six of us. We did our best to treat the prisoners we held as best we could. But we knew what some of them faced in Carlisle. This was before Mr Hayes, mind you. It wasn't the sort of place you'd like to think of sending a man, and certainly not someplace you'd want a man to breathe his last. A few of us were allowed to watch the hangings- so watch we did. The lack of kindness shown to the condemned disturbed us all. So when the hangman left for less grim work, we put in our names. Except we didn't do it as a single man each, you see. We put in our names as a lot. We'd have a rotation so we could take turns with the work, a few years at a time. And we decided we'd keep in touch so we never had to worry about not having someone to talk to about a particularly disturbing case. Every time we stepped into the role, we took on the name Mr Angel. Didn't matter which one of us placed the noose and pulled the lever, we thought every man should get the chance to be calmed by an Angel in the end. So they were. And here I am. Your Mr Angel."