Chapter 32- Settling

They ride back to the village across the next day, arriving late at night. But Thomas and Lizzie do not return to a darkened and chilly house. There is a fire in the fireplace, a hot meal on the stove, and a vase ready on the table for the silk flowers Lizzie has carried all day. They hang their wedding clothes in the wardrobe and bathe before coming back out to the dining room. There is a knock on the door.

Thomas answers, "Hello?"

Malachi nods, "Excuse me, but the boys and I would like to serve your supper."

Surprised, he steps aside to let Malachi pass, followed by Roger and Thaddeus, "Oh? This was you?"

"Aye, it was," Thaddeus answers, "Mal came to us yesterday and said it would be a right damned shame if a pair of newlyweds came back to their beloved home to find it cold and dark and they had to cook. So here's our gift to you."

Roger places steaming bowls of stew on the table, "Congratulations to you both." He sets silverware on the table and pulls out the chairs for each of the Yorks. They wash what dishes they can before saying their goodbyes.

Thaddeus pats Thomas' shoulder, "You're a good man, Thomas. May your years together be long. Liz, darling, you may be the best woman this world has ever known." He steps out.

Roger shakes Thomas' hand, "Enjoy yourselves, friends. And congratulations."

He is out the door before Malachi steps over to the table, "I'm right sorry for what we did to you folks. It's obvious you both are very happy together. And we had no right to interfere in that."

Thomas stands and extends his hand, "Thank you, Mal. I think we can move forward from here." They shake hands and Malachi leaves. Thomas sits again and reaches across the table for Lizzie's hand, his thumb resting over her ring, "Do you like it? I thought the lapis matched your dress. And the marcasite...I won't be able to see it without thinking of how stunning those jewels were against your skin last night."

She nods and touches her chest, then stands, leans across the table to brush his, and sits to touch hers again.

"Heartspeak. Yes, dear Lizzie. It is." They finish their supper quietly and retreat to the bedroom for quiet. Undressed under the covers, they cuddle together, too tired to move.

"I realized something last night. It was the first time I have had sex on my wedding night. And while we have had many wonderful nights together, there was something deeply special about sharing that with you."

"I know. Thank you."

"Even though you have figured out a little of how to use your voice, please still be careful."

She nods.

"Thank you for what?"

"For marrying me. For last night. For you," she whispers.

He smiles and kisses her, "So what is our next adventure, Mrs York? Shall we travel? Invent something for the village? Build something?"

She shakes her head and draws a notebook from under the pillow, resting it against his side as she writes, "I am turning 48 this year. You are eleven years older. I want a child. I am too old to bear one, but there are children like Nathaniel and Ezra who have no families of their own. Might we become that to them?"

Thomas strokes her hair and nods, "Yes. But we will have to think about how we will talk about my past. I can't just tell every child that I was a part of the murder of three women and let an infant die in my arms, nor can I keep it secret."

"There are children in the village left with no one after the Great War. Children who have known of you their whole lives."

"Of course. We will talk to Rebecca in the morning. She will know what to do."

Lizzie nuzzles against Thomas' chest, happy, a smile on her face, "Thank you. Goodnight, Mr York." She falls asleep.. He is giddy, thinking of his new name. It makes it hard to fall asleep, but he is tired, and soon he does.