3.

pentagon's shine always makes me happy :)

CHAPTER THREE

Nightmare.

It was of that dreadful day when my family was taken from me before I could bat an eyelash. I'd had nightmares of that night several times. This time, however, I felt it. Felt the warmth of the fire on my body. Heard the loud, echoing screams. Felt the trickle of blood down my forehead.

I watched. Watched as the wolves dismembered my parents. Tasted the saltiness of my tears. Then my eyes began to stray and finally, they fell on a distinct person, who almost resembled a shadow. That was until he began to stalk forward. The first step he took forward had me taking one backward. Then, I began screaming. I didn't move. I just screamed loudly, hands on ears, as his pace increased and he got closer.

Closer.

And closer.

"Alexa!"

I shot up in bed. Jamie smiles warily down at me. "Thank you," I tell her. "You looked a little uncomfortable, so I figured it was best if you woke up." She winks. I smile, a little. "Jamie?" She's going through my notebooks and when I call, she turns back. "Who was that guy earlier?" The warmth in her eyes fades away. She begins to drum her fingers against the desk. "You really want to know don't you?" She says when after a few minutes of eye contact, she realizes that I'm not backing down. I nod in confirmation.

"He's Lucien, my ex-beta." I hold in a laugh and she narrows her eyes. "We were friends before anything. To be fair, I never saw him as anything more than that – a friend. And then his father and elder brother died. He was mourning and well, you know, I was there." Jamie pauses. "And so, soon enough, we were like a secret couple I guess. But then, he became Beta and.... Before, no one would care if we were together because it was obvious his brother would become Beta. But after Lucien was given the rank, wolves would freak out because I'm an Omega. Then soon, we grew apart as well I guess. Rowan's father, who is currently Alpha, began picking out women of higher rank for him and I was pushed away further and further." She pauses again.

"Then one day, Lucien came to me. Once again, I was the hidden secret of the powerful Beta. I was fine with it. Then the fight with Rowan happened and here I am." She says. I nod. "So you're angry he didn't stand up for you?" I ask. She shrugs. "Understandable," I say. "You don't keep any secrets do you?" I ask her. She smiles weakly, lowering her head. Then she adds, "Only with those I don't trust." I throw the blanket off my body and hold out my hand.

"I was dizzy before and now that I've slept, I'm craving ice-cream. Come on, let's go." Jamie gives me a look. I'm sure she's already had breakfast and considering how I wanted nothing more than ice cream, I was sure that a chocolate sundae would be my breakfast today.

Jamie grabs my hand.

"Alpha."

I turn back to see Jamie lowering her head. A man, with his back to me, greets her. I catch her eyes and point outside. She nods, turning her attention back to the man...or in her words, her ex-Alpha. It's obvious that though she's not fond of him, she has no choice but to respect him. I stuff my hands in my jeans, waiting for her.

"Alexa?" Comes a soft voice behind me.

I turn around with a smile only for it to diminish when I catch sight of who stands next to her. Same eyes. "This is my Alpha, Auden," Jamie says sheepishly. A hand reaches out. Same scar. I take it. It's him. "Alexandria." I nod. It takes almost a minute to Auden to let go of my hand. He's staring at me so intensely that I have to divert my gaze to a shocked Jamie. It's almost like he remembers. Then that connection is broken when I force my hand out of his in the nicest way possible. "Nice to meet you, Alexa." Comes his deep voice.

I don't say anything.

Jamie grabs my hand and leads me away. "Did you see the way he was looking at you?" She gasps. "Is the part where you say you think he might be attracted to me?" I ask her. She laughs, shaking her head. "On the contrary, I'd advice you to stay away from him. He's a monster." Jamie says. "Plus, you know what a bitch his fiancé is, don't you?" I nod. "And Rowan says that he only ever looks at her." Jamie mumbles, rolling her eyes. I pause.

"Jamie, why were you calling him your Alpha?" I question. "It's just that you mentioned he was your future Alpha before..." I trail off. "Ah, you see, though he's to be Alpha, since Rowan's father is weak, fragile and just waiting for death, the position is already Auden's. And the moment that old man stops breathing, he'll just be given the title officially." Jamie explains.

"Why do you think he's a monster?"

"I don't think he's one, I know he's one," Jamie says. "Why?" I press. "Forget it, Alexa. I'll tell you some other time." Jamie waves her hand. I bite the inside of my cheek. "Just know," Jamie starts. "Don't interact with him ever again." She continues. Then she shrugs, "I'm saying this because you told me you're fond of our kind. Being close to Auden means you'll have the entire pack breathing down your back and I doubt you want that." Jamie says.

Listening to her makes me feel like she knows more than she's supposed to. And though one of the man reasons I came here revolves around her Alpha, I doubt I could speak to him again without taking a few weeks to prepare myself. Being around him, even for the briefest second, like when I stared down at him from the balcony, made me nauseous, excited and terrified at the same time.

I knew the 'why 'question would have to wait.

I wasn't ready to face him now.

"Speak to him yet?"

Faye asks. "No. Yes." I can imagine Faye raising one of her eyebrows. "So which one is it? Yes or no?" Faye demands. "Yes." I sigh. "How does he look?" Faye questions. "He looks normal I guess," I say. "Was it a waste? Packing up and moving there, I mean." Faye questions. "I don't know." I sigh once more.

"Did you ask him yet?" She asks. "No," I say. "Well, be careful, ordinary wolves might not catch on quickly, but Alpha can sense pretty fast if you're a demon or not." She tells me. I roll my eyes. "If he remembers, then I'm pretty sure he already knows I'm a demon," I say. "What? He remembers?" She screeches. "I'm not sure...I just felt like he does." I bite my lip.

"Oh G- Zylen!" Faye screams again. I can hear her laughing. He's probably tickling her right now. "Get away, demon boy." She scolds. "Boy? I'm a man." I can hear Faye snorting. "I'll show you." I hear Zylen's voice and once again, there's a lot of laughter. "Alexa, she'll call you back in about two-three-four...actually, she'll call you tomorrow morning, I'll make sure of it." There's a beep and silence.

I place my phone down. Must be nice to live a life like Faye's. I envy her. Sometimes, I wonder if I'll have a life like that. But then I remind myself that even if I did get the opportunity, I'd probably turn it down. I wasn't cut out for a life like that.

I was better off alone.