18.

short chapter, enjoy x

i'm working on rewriting young and wish upon a demon at the moment so updates will be slow 

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

"Okay. So why am I here?"

Mala presses her lips together.

"A week ago, I was in Valhalla or as it's more commonly known, Val-Hall." Both my brows lift at this. "And before you tell me you want to go to, know that it's invite only. I couldn't take you even if I wanted to."

I narrow my eyes at her. "I wasn't going to ask you that." Then I lean in, "But seriously what were you doing with the Valkyries?"

"They contacted me. You know how they love to stay hidden and discreet or whatever so you can imagine how surprised I was when I picked up the landline at the coven house and it's Adira calling. I couldn't even speak for the first few seconds, that's how shocked I was. She's kinda very curt and to the point and just like that, a meeting was fixed." She says, eyes flashing with excitement. "And I went in Val-Hall and came face to face with Byz!" Mala continues.

"Byz? As in the Byzantine?" I ask, eyes wide. Byz was a legend. A literal legend.

"She was so nice. I didn't expect that. I think you'd rarely expect the Head Valkyrie to be nice but she was. She was kind and she spoke so softly. And then they led me to this empty room. Byz came in with me. She waved her hand and all of sudden everything just transformed. Books, thousands of books appeared. That's when I realized. Byz had led me to the freaking Prophecy Room!" Mala squeals, not loudly but not softly either.

Sometimes, I forget amongst all this that while some situations in my life allowed me to be slightly a bit mature and reserved than others, Mala still had that fun-childishness in her. That's why though she kept many details of her life under wraps, she attracted attention and people through her personality. I envied her. I only wish maybe in the years to come, I too could regain some of that fun factor in me I'd lost.

"Okay, so you got to see the prophecy room, then?" I ask her.

"Yeah, then, they led me to this section where the books containing the predictions for the next hundred years or so lay. Of course, they didn't let me see it because books like that are protected with spells by drudes and stronger witches and the Valkyries are very protected about their prophecy books but they did give me a little sneak peak. Okay, I'm gonna try to remember it." Mala closes her eyes and takes a breath. "...prophecies suggest that within the years to come, a war-lord would reek havoc in the underworld in his quest for the throne and he would forever be known as the undefeated overlord..." She opens her eyes.

"Warlord? Havoc? What?" I purse my lips.

"Yeah exactly. The underworld has been pretty calm. Well, except for that unwanted war between the demons, hunters and fallen. But that ended months ago. And speaking of that, the Fallen retreated which is a good thing since they're better off in other realms than the human world. But the hunters? All of them perished. Except for one I think. Micheal Kingston. One vampire found him in the woods in a near-death state and she saved him. They're married now." Mala says and my I raise my brows.

"I know Micheal. He went to my school. Good thing he survived I guess." I shrug. I didn't know the guy really well but Faye had, so I guess it was a good thing that he was well. Plus, if he'd married a vampire then he was probably her beloved. That also meant he'd probably transitioned into a vampire by now. So no more hunting for him. Except for blood but at least he wouldn't be killing anybody. "Mala, what about the Warlord?" I ask her.

"Right! Oh Hekate, I'm getting so distracted." She huffs. "I was shown the prophecy because the Valkyries figured I had some sort of insight on the matter. But I didn't. They've received news from higher-ups that I would be having visions soon." She says.

"Wait, visions? Why you?" I ask.

"That's not important." She says. "Thing is, the Valkyries know about the prophecy but they have no idea who the person is or anything beyond that. They want mine and my coven's help to figure that out." Mala continues.

I exhale, "Okay. So have you had any visions?"

"Three days ago, I was admiring myself in a mirror. Cause you know about witches and our vanity." She rolls her eyes. "And then all of a sudden, there was this pulling force. The power of the mirror. I was transfixed. Through it, I saw destruction. Blood. Fight. Havoc. And a man above all. The Warlord." She says, eyes glazing over. "I couldn't see his face. He was like a shadow, rising above all. A wolf walked beside him. And that was it." She says.

"A wolf? So maybe he's a werewolf?" I offer.

"That's what I'm guessing too." She says. "I want to know more but I don't want to keep looking at a mirror for long." Mala continues. "Mirrors are like my kryptonite. They pull us witches in and if we go too deep, it's hard for us to find our way back." She swallows.

"Better stay away from it for now at least. Give it a week, maybe then you can check again." I say.

Mala nods, "Good idea." Her eyes snap to mine. "Say, there's a new pack in town yeah?" She asks.

"Yeah. They moved from Pilot Hill." I reply.

"Pilot Hill, hmmm. The Alpha is Matthew Charleston's heir correct?" She asks.

I nod, "His not his son if that's what you're wondering. Matthew had a daughter. Rowan Charleston. She and Auden - the Alpha, met a couple years back. They're mated now." I say. I don't tell her about Auden's late night visits to my house or the fact that I'm his true mate.

"It's just Auden? No surname?" She asks. Not that I know of. I nod.

"He ascended the throne a few months ago I guess. They moved here around a week back. They've been very calm and peaceful, no harm done yet. We'll have to wait for the full moon to see if they're a threat." I tell Mala.

"They could be a threat. Plus, the coming full moon is the blue moon." Mala chews on her lower lip.

"Blue moon? What's that?" I ask, curiously.

"There are three types of moons, Alexa. The Red Moon or the Blood Moon in which werewolves have an insatiable need for blood and flesh. They usually lock themselves up in basements with a lot of meat and whatnot. The next is the Normal moon, where they shift, run around, play or whatever and then shift back human. Blue moons are the mate moons. They only appear once in fifty years. Mated wolves spend the entire night consummating-" We both scrunch our faces, "-in both wolf and human form. It's different for unmated wolves. If a true mate is nearby, the blue moon draws out their scent so the wolf can recognize it and claim their mates. It's the most auspicious time to mark a mate and form a mate bond." She concludes and I swear I can feel my heart freeze in my chest.

Mate bond?

Marking?

Consummation?

I feel a bit dizzy. If Auden is telling the truth and I am his true mate then this Blue Moon, that was coming in another three weeks, would draw him to me. He would come for me. I'd be defenseless against him. He was much stronger and bigger and plus he'd be controlled by the moon. Oh my, there really was no escape. I wiped my sweaty hands on my slacks, ignoring my parched throat and Mala's curious gaze.

Auden was insatiable and probably the only reason he's holding back now is so he can claim me during the blue moon.

There really was no escape.