14.

mamamoo just cameback yasssss

whasa and moonbyul are killing it with those killer visuals 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The next few days were hectic for Claire and me.

I had to accompany her to many board meetings, come up with schedules and timetables for the younglings, have someone fix yet another glitch in the portal system...all this certainly had me tired. Right now I was with Claire in her office, jotting down the rest of the things to be done around the institution. "You look tired, Alexa," Claire observes, taking off her glasses. "So do you, Claire," I say. She grins and then it slips for a second. "Alexa..." She starts. My heart drops. "Oh god, please don't tell me we have to interact with those wolves again. One meeting was enough to last me a century." I say. Claire shakes her head, a thoughtful expression on her face.

"Did you happen to ever digest Lyca?" She asks. I cock a brow. "What's Lyca?" I ask. "It's this herb werewolves grow." She says. "And why do you think I'd consume it?" I question her. "Claire?" I press when she remains silent. She snaps out of her thoughts. "You know that I came from a family of demon healers, yes?" I nod. "Yesterday, when you start burning up all of a sudden, I was able to do a body check through my mind. Before I got to clean your mind, I scented traces of Lyca in your system." She says. "What does Lyca do? Does it do anything specific to demons?" I ask, intrigued.

Maybe there was an explanation as to why I felt the way I did that day at the packhouse.

"Okay, so...this might not be true. Or it could be, I don't know." Claire starts. "When I used to attend school on the other side, they'd teach us of different supernatural creatures, their significance and all. And on one of those classes, we were happening to learn about werewolves and the herbs they grow. Lyca is a werewolf herb." She continues. I listen tentatively. "It's not uncommon for a werewolf to have a true mate of a different species. So back in the day, when the wolves would identify their mates who belonged to different species, they'd use Lyca." Claire stops. I bite my lip, "Okay, but why? What would Lyca do? I'm confused," I say. She shakes her head.

"Werewolves are very skilled in identifying their mates. The position of a mate holds the highest position in a wolf's life after all. They have this notion that they aren't complete without their mates and if not accepted by their other half, they've shown depressive suicidal tendencies. So you can imagine how important the concept of matehood is to them." I nod along. "But when a werewolf is mated to someone of another species, it's different. Because werewolves can feel the full force of the bond but the other person could feel nothing. It's very rare for the mate of the other species to recognize the bond and roll with it. So werewolves began growing Lyca after help from a few witches. What Lyca does, is that it helps the person of the other species to recognize the bond if they didn't before, get it?" Claire asks.

"So it's a way to help the other species recognize the bond?" I ask and Claire nods. "Claire, up until a few seconds ago, I didn't even know what Lyca is...I would never consume it...why would I even think of..." I'm confused. Claire clasps her hands, "Okay so the effects of Lyca take about two days to kick in? Think two days back, the day you confirmed you wanted to attend the meeting with me. What did you do that day?" I scrunch my nose. How was I supposed to remember that? I could barely remember what I did today morning. "Think Alexa. You're a demon, not a mortal. Trust me, your memory capabilities are extraordinary." I nod and close my eyes. Pressing myself to remember, I finally heave a breath of relief when I finally do.